Thread: Torrent or Emule which one safer against anti piracy companies?

Torrent or Emule which one safer against anti piracy companies?

Hello everyone,
    So as you know, Canada has recently started collecting data of people using Torrent:
    http://www.vancouversun.com/entertai...925/story.html

I know there are methods that make Torrent safer like removing tracker data or using PeerBlock and stuff but I have a general question.
    With regard to these anti piracy companies, which one is safer, Torrent or Emule?
    I've heard many instances of arresting people using Torrent but I've almost never heard such a case for Emule users (unless those involved in child po$$ which is not what I'm looking for).

I appreciate to know what you guys think.
    Thank you

Hi there boyboy,

Neither are secure per se. As with most security it is a case of taking precautions and behaving sensibly.

Emule is old, slow and forces you to upload (distribute)....... that would tend to make it a definite no no for the latest albums and Hollywood blockbusters. It is the place where you might expect to find old and obscure stuff. Torrents are usually faster and currently fashionable which is probably why they are being targeted. Both can be tracked, so I would suspect that emule has far less content that is actively protected by its copyright holders?

Personally, I don't think I would want to download an HD DVD in 10MB chunks with potentially very few people having them available

EDIT:

I have re-read the newspaper report and noticed that you Canadian guys have new copyright legislation.................urrrgh! statutory penalties are real bad news.............. that encourages little slimeballs to go after everything and anything.

My personal recommendation and request is that you cool it for a while until we have seen some more court cases?

Over here they would have to put forward a reasonable case that they had suffered potential monetary loss, so if they are not selling or leasing, they have no case. It would be a technical infringement involving a fine of maybe 1 cent and they (the appellant) would get the honour of paying all costs...............including my pub lunches.........

Just for interest, I was made redundant from my position in the recording industry in 1979...................the reason was a downturn in revenue due to piracy using diskette tape players. They never thought that it might be their obsolete 1960's business model?

Oh Well!
    Last edited by nihil; February 3rd, 2013 at 06:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nihil View Post
    Hi there boyboy,
    Emule is old, slow and forces you to upload (distribute).......
    Hello Nihil, Thank you so much for the response. Unfortunately, I guess Torrent forces to upload! In emule the upload limit can be set to 0 but in Bittorrent the minimum upload limit is 25kBs . Of course I don't know about the protocols. I guess if you don't upload, they kind of restrict your download limit.....not sure ... I totally agree with all the other stuff you said about Emule
    nihil1.jpg

My personal recommendation and request is that you cool it for a while until we have seen some more court cases?
    that's super nice of you ... yeah I was kind of worried about it too .. I'm so gonna listen to that advice, hopefully am not already in their black list ... thanks

the reason was a downturn in revenue due to piracy using diskette tape players. They never thought that it might be their obsolete 1960's business model?
    Oh Well!
    )))

I think so long as you stop the torrent as soon as it finishes downloading you might be ok. That upload rate could pass for normal online traffic or a game. Other than that I would use a proxy or hop on your neighbors wi-fi

Freenet or Darknet are also good options.
    Computers do not have problems, they have users.
    ~Cope57

Quote Originally Posted by boyboy400 View Post
    Hello Nihil, Thank you so much for the response. Unfortunately, I guess Torrent forces to upload! In emule the upload limit can be set to 0 but in Bittorrent the minimum upload limit is 25kBs
    What client are you using? For instance, Transmission on Debian [and many other linux distros] lets you specify the upload rate... which can be set to zero. I am pretty sure that you can set this with uTorrent as well...
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

Quote Originally Posted by westin View Post
    What client are you using? For instance, Transmission on Debian [and many other linux distros] lets you specify the upload rate... which can be set to zero. I am pretty sure that you can set this with uTorrent as well...
    Bittorrent on Win7 ... when I used it, the download time wouldn't take longer than a couple of hours and I would disconnect right away so that 25kBs wasn't a big deal but generally speaking, yeah it's a good idea to set the upload limit to zero
    but as it's spread on the news, they are specifically haunting downloaders ...

Quote Originally Posted by boyboy400 View Post
    Bittorrent on Win7 ... when I used it, the download time wouldn't take longer than a couple of hours and I would disconnect right away so that 25kBs wasn't a big deal but generally speaking, yeah it's a good idea to set the upload limit to zero
    but as it's spread on the news, they are specifically haunting downloaders ...
    Scary. Might want to call a priest.

I would suggest going to a coffee shop, or other place that provides free wifi. Or, you could always purchase the music/movies legally.
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

Quote Originally Posted by westin View Post
    Might want to call a priest.
    called two

Hmmm,

I remember reading a report a few months ago (leaked) that was comissioned by the RIAA/MPAA.

The conclusion was that 70% of unauthorised file sharing was physical, via CD/DVD, thumb drives, external drives, laptops etc. 25% was via P2P and only 5% via file repositories.

Logically, the way to go is after uploaders and indexing sites, as they are actually distributing or facilitating distribution, and if it isn't there or can't be found it can't be downloaded.

I think that P2P is being targeted because the rules of most of the indexing sites require you to upload as well as download and to maintain a certain ratio. I suspect that the "downloader" term is an error, and it is the uploading element they are really after?

Whatever they do I can't see it improving the entertainment industry's revenues, as the file sharers I know aren't going to pay for the content anyway, and download stuff just because it's there, rather than that they specifically want it.

Over here we have so far avoided trying to legislate against technology. I guess that there are complications with other laws and the way our ISPs work. Basically they can see my router but they don't know who or what is connected to it, and it is not what I would consider secure.