Thread: Newbie with LOTS of questions...

Newbie with LOTS of questions...

I am an American, living and teaching in China. I have been here for many years, and because of this, have been conditioned to computers doing strange things...but no more! I have read a little bit about security and networks and am really fascinated by it. Also, I will be putting up some forums in the near future and plan to begin a business online teaching English. I subscribe to a webhosting service (linux based) and am trying to protect the resources on the host as well as the communications between my computer and others. Here are the tools I have to work with:
    dedicate IP address; ssl certificates; pgp keys; directories can be password protected; SSH/Shell; maybe there are more tools there..but I don't know about them. In the near future, I would like to set up a computer in my home as a simple server and let the computers that I use in the school access it daily, to get data but also to write data to it. At night, I want this server to back up data to my host. This is my first project I also need to buy a new router and am looking at how to make that piece of hardware work for me in my attempts to keep things safe.

Friend of Site Staff
    Have many computers at the school?
    Thinking you want to check out a VPN capable router.
    Set it up and have the school computers use VPN to access your server.

Keep a list of what you upload and a backup of everything uploaded.

Sometimes deleting everything on the server and reloading is the easiest and fastest way to fix a hacked server. Backups are good on top of that.
    Last edited by Shay; February 7th, 2013 at 06:17 PM.

Thanks! The computer sent my post before I could finish it. The second part of the post: I would like to learn about these things rather than just get answers to questions...about communications protocols, etc so that I can keep abreast of new developments in inter and intra net issues. Can someone suggest some websites, books and periodicals to read?

Friend of Site Staff
    This is where I would start.
    http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/C/comm..._protocol.html

Once we get the definition down, while waiting for more posts on the 2nd question might help out. Those are things I take for granted and have not studied.