Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why is everyone uptight here?

Banned

Why is everyone uptight here?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R Jones
    Sorry - the AUP you agreed to over and over - you gave your postings to QuinStreet.
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronMaxwell
    Im sure people have asked accounts to be closed but I'd like to have everything completely removed. I'll give you a rundown of accounts I've used in the past. Phpbb has it pretty standard now where you can automaticly move everything to the TrashBin area of the forum.

Im insecure.
    How many times have you been banned on this site? 20 or so??

Well that's 20 or so reason why you're the last person in the world that I'm going to do any favors for

Quote Originally Posted by AaronMaxwell
    Sorry - the AUP you agreed to over and over - you gave your postings to QuinStreet.
    They don't care if someone asks for things to be deleted and you comply with it. Its called maintaining an online forum 101. This might come as a surpise but not everything thats posted here is something QuinStreet would want to claim legal ownership over.
    Afraid I'll trick you into removing spam from the forums?

[yawn]

1. What part of no don't you understand?
    2. Why do you feel you deserve special privileges?
    3. Why do you want old accounts removed?
    4. Will you list your current account with the others?

Cool

HMm... The reason you may find people less than helpful might have to do with how you answered question #3. I've been an on and off again member here for a very long time and have only had a problem with one member.

I think you've come to the right place fore help and the wrong place to throw your sarcasm around an expect results.

He was suggesting - that instead of saying "Get over yourself" you should try Pretty Please."

You also stated earlier:
    This might come as a surpise but not everything thats posted here is something QuinStreet would want to claim legal ownership over.
    While that point is valid - and most of what you've posted over the years is basically worthless - removing your posts would make many of the threads even worse.

Bottom line is we don't delete accounts. I could make your current account inactive if you'd like... Course I'd expect you to not come back.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R Jones View Post
    He was suggesting - that instead of saying "Get over yourself" you should try Pretty Please."
    Yep. No one wants to help a jerk :-D

Hi Steve,

This is before your time so I will have my two cents worth.

Way back, we used a heavily modified ("hacked", "butchered") version of vBulletin. We used this for so long that it was impossible to upgrade it following normal methods.

We eventually bit the bullet so to speak and have what we have today, but if you look at older posts you will see that links don't work, polls don't match threads and so on. This leads me to suspect that the database isn't as stable and structured as it ought to be?

Even if we wanted to (which we don't) I would not recommend trying to remove a user and their posts because I think that the outcome would be unpredictable and potentially disastrous.

It's a while ago, but I think that the problem was that the new version of vBulletin we went to had a different referencing system that screwed up the old one because we couldn't follow the normal upgrade route. I remember spending quite a few hours looking at this and couldn't find any pattern or logic that would allow a programatical solution.

I have seen some really bad stuff happen when people have tried to mess with relational databases that did not have the obvious problems that ours does.

I too have seen some funky stuff. Few sites that were upgraded "TO" vBulletin from another software. A lot of the old threads etc didn't get included in the indexes.

Friend of Site Staff
    Lots of posts and stuff were lost on that switch.

@Aaron,

Admit it man..................you want the old grey (gray?) and yellow scheme we had when we were a Confederate site

On a more serious technical note, I feel that the DB is a rather older third normal form approximation, and would point out that Facebook and Twitter are much younger sites than ourselves and have their own bespoke software. We use standard forum software rather than writing our own.

I kinda missed the old color scheme