Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where did everyone go?

Where did everyone go?

So got bored a couple weeks ago and started looking at some old accounts I had... AO was one of them:P although i was never active much

However I remember when i joined... even last time i was here about probably 5-6 years ago... that there would be a couple hundred people online at AO... and probably a few hundred or more posts made every day.

This week im gone several days and theres like 3 new threads... what happened? where did everyone go?
    Geoff

Same here. This was my favorite learning place back in the day but little by little it got abandoned. Some of the biggest contributors (teachers really) stopped contributing as well and maybe that was one of the biggest reasons. Question is, where did everyone go?

I still keep a lookout on the forum by linking it to google reader waiting nostalgically for it to someday pick up again.
    I Speak in frequencies even dogs have trouble hearing

You two guys are perfect examples... Here one day....then drop off the face of the earth. So you could give some specific examples

Most sites like this have declined in traffic....
    1. Thousands of new sites have been brought on line in the last 10 years

2. Even the harware and software sites have their own forums

3. People's interest change

4. Heck, if I started dating a new hot babe - I'd be on line less...

5. The list goes on

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    +10. But the only way to find one is online ...
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R Jones View Post
    You two guys are perfect examples... Here one day....then drop off the face of the earth. So you could give some specific examples

Most sites like this have declined in traffic....
    1. Thousands of new sites have been brought on line in the last 10 years

2. Even the harware and software sites have their own forums

3. People's interest change

5. The list goes on
    lol well, i was never /really/ active here. it was more just an occasional post. I was much more active on other sites... however those have all long since disappeared. They were active, but for whatever reason the owners decided to just one day discontinue/sell/cease operating. Ive always found that sites generally dont lose momentum very quickly unless long outages/down time have occurred... however like i said i dont think ive even logged in, in at least 4-5 years lol so it may have been a gradual decrease.

kinda burned out to posting on forums and message boards though so i stopped for years lol. started again recently mostly out of boredom i guess. in a foreign country and dont know (m)any people so i have been spending a lot of time at home.

ironically i still keep in touch with people/friends i made on sites like this years ago, through fb and what not... but i guess we all grew up... i dont think any of them still actively participate anywhere haha. Things change when you go from being a teenager to your late twenties:P heh work + wives take up a lot of time:P
    Geoff

Lucky you... Like most people, I went on the net looking for a solution to a computer issue... I got the solution on a forum and have been posting on them daily for 10+ years...

HYBR|D
    Quote Originally Posted by Cider View Post
    +10. But the only way to find one is online ...
    LIE'S!!!! everyone knows there arn't any "Real" Hot Babe's on the Internet.

there usually old men dressed up in drag

I am having the same exact question here. I mean, is it dead or something? I don't get it, seriously!

I daresay not dead.

Something like the old watering hole you get drunk in during the heydays... then getting out of town for years, then you come back and walks about and sees the sign, re-enters hoping you will see familiar faces, first and foremost, and new drink mixes on the bar that you might want to sample.

Plenty to learn from here when we were younger, but nowadays, just a few pickings, perhaps. ..because we learned more later and this is where we started off.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum!

I was wondering exactly this as well.

It feels like the great Myspace migration of 2008. Everyone just left to new pasture (Facebook).

Looks like it can't be helped unless we ourselves start to do our part.

I've always loved the community here. AOliners are a bunch of friendly people.

I'll start posting again and I hope you all will join me too.
    _digitalbath.