Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: graphic card failure/power failure

graphic card failure/power failure

Hello everyone,
    I bought this PC "iBuyPower Desktop Gaming Computer featuring AMD FX-4100 Processor (BC500)" 7 months ago. I also have a 21 Philips monitor.
    Two days ago, I was working with it and the the screen went black (like the monitor goes sleeping) so I had to turn off the PC by holding the power key so it shut down. In a few seconds I pressed the power key again to turn it on; I heard the sound of fan a LITTLE BIT but the PC wouldn't turn on. The PC was under my table. So I put it on the table, open it up, clean all the dust, leave it on the table, leave the left door off (to keep it cooler) and it was fine.

Yesterday it happened again (the monitor went black) and I had to the same thing I described above but then I wasn't able to boot because some files were corrupted so had to use the Windows DVD to repair the start up.

Tonight it happened again plus something else. Imagine your monitor supports 1920*1080 resolution but you use a much lower resolution; how is the picture? Like low resolution like old computers. I was working and the monitor went like this and I had to shut it down. I restarted right away, booted up until I saw my desktop but then it shut down automatically in a few seconds (like a temperature problem?). I tried to turn it on again but heard the sound of fan for 1 seconds and it wouldn't turn on.
    So I turned it off from the key at the back of the case, opened the left door of the case again, took the graphic card out and replaced it, opened my room's window (so it's freezing here) and now it works fine.

I don't know what's going on people. It's a gaming computer, the case is already like sieves!!!!! and here the weather is freezing like -13 although my room's temperature is not that cold but I mean it's not that hot over here.

The problem to me sounded like a graphic card failure. I felt opening the room's window and taking off the left door of the case, helped. Also when doesn't turn on, if I turn it off from the key at the back of case, it helps and the PC might turn on. Also hearing the 1sec sound of fan and then not turning on, seems like power failure! but I don't know

Could you please tell me what the problem is in your opinion?
    I'm afraid if I sent it back to use the warranty, the problem doesn't show up for them and I just have to pay for the shipment
    Thank you

what I'm doing now is to move some files from drive c (it has like 150G free but anyways) and then try to reinstall the windows. It doesn't sound like an OS failure though does it?

Sounds silly but the only software I recently installed (at least what I can think about now) is Eraser that causes them to be unrecoverable. May that be the problem?
    Last edited by boyboy400; March 21st, 2013 at 04:40 AM.

Have you had the same problem since you replaced the graphics card? All those symptoms seem indicative of some sort of hardware failure due to overheating. Hence, opening the case and increasing airflow seemed to remedy the problem. The monitor blinking out and the resolution changes would point towards the graphics card. There are programs such as, RealTemp, CoreTemp, and GPUZ that monitor the temperature of certain core components like the CPU and GPU. Run the computer and keep and eye on the temperatures. That way we you know exactly what component is overheating. Generally anything upwards of 70 to 80 degrees Celsius is overheating.

Overheating is usually a simple fix. Just add a better cooling solution. However, determining why the component overheated can also help. Was it due to insufficient cooling or increased usage for a long period of time? I would also keep an eye on both CPU and GPU usage. I know some viruses can cause both the CPU and GPU to overwork, thus increasing the amount of heat produced. With crappy OEM cooling solutions, overheating is imminent. I would first, boot into SafeMode and run some anti virus software just to be on the safe side while still monitoring temperatures!

Friend of Site Staff
    Definitely sounds like a overheated video card.
    Most times that is what is the problem. I have found.
    Pull the card and make sure the air passages are clean. Clean the fan blades something like Q-tips and 90+% alcohol.

guys this happened again tonight. The monitor went black and I had to turn off the PC from the case. I turned it on right away again and it was fine except there was no screen at all so had to use the power bottom to turn it off.
    Then took the graphic card out again and did some cleaning and replaced everything. Now it doesn't turn on at all (((
    I mean you hear the 1second sound of fan but it doesn't turn on!
    It's weird that both graphics card and power system are failing at the same time

Friend of Site Staff
    Double check every connector you may have bumped. And did you clean the video card connectors with a pencil erasure? Seen those help.

doesn't work. When I disconnect the power cable or unplug it from the socket or press the bottom at the back of the case (i.e. when I disconnect electricity completely), I hear a tiny sound of beep like a small crescendo!!!!!! for 2 or 3 seconds and then it stops

PS. I really doubt if it's heating problem. It's freezing here (yes snowing too )
    Last edited by boyboy400; March 22nd, 2013 at 06:01 AM.

Friend of Site Staff
    Since overheating can take place in less than 1/10th of a second, do not bank on the cold weather temps to keep thinks cool.

When I disconnect the power cable or unplug it from the socket or press the bottom at the back of the case (i.e. when I disconnect electricity completely), I hear a tiny sound of beep like a small crescendo!!!!!! for 2 or 3 seconds and then it stops
    Now since the power supply is there, I am thinking it is going haywire. Warranty time in my book since you got it only 7 months ago. May even be put together wrong.

hummmmmm I took the graphics card out again and stuff and formatted drive C and reinstalled Windows and it looks fine so far. I've been using it last night and this morning and it looks OK. I'll keep you guys updated
    thank you

Just curious, don't you guys consider this hoanlan12 a spammer?
    And about my problem, since I recleaned the graphics card, the blinking out has not occurred but every now and then, like 2 times in 5 days, the PC shuts down automatically and last time I couldn't restart it right away (hope tonight I can ) like I hear the sound of fan for one second and then it stops. There is a small light in front of the case (see the pic photo.JPGphoto.JPG ) that it turns on when I press the power key but like I said, I hear the 1sec sound of fan and then nothing
    Do you guys have any solution for this?
    PS. haven't got any response from the support yet

So just to keep you guys updated, I asked a repair guy to test it and he said it was either CPU or motherboard but couldn't tell which one because didn't have an AM3+ CPU to test it with. It has a one year manufacturer warranty so I'm going to send both to them for replacement
    It's a good thing though because in two months the warranty is going to expire )