Thread: Apple Forum

Apple Forum

Looks like Apple would prefer if no one talked about the fact that their new security patch wont work on the older iPhone/iPod models.

An individual who brought up Apple’s decision to exclude the iPhone 3G and other older devices from its latest security update on an official forum has received a firm rebuke for his effort.
    Apparently the post, which was quickly deleted, failed three separate rules of the Apple Discussions soviet, as a curt notice to our source explained (extract below):
    Apple removed your post on Apple Discussions, titled “Please Apple, you cannot leave a major share of your customers vulnerable,” because it contained the following:
    Speculation or Rumors Discussion of Apple Policies, Procedures or Decisions Petitions

Dear Apple,
    Following the reviews of the new IOS 4.3 release I was absolutely baffled that Apple is leaving a major segment of their customers vulnerable to security issues in the iPhone. Various security issues have been identified on IOS 4.2 and lower. Some of them in Safari. Yet iPhone 3G users are not offered security updates as they are encapsulated in IOS 4.3 release.
    I feel that Apple has an obligation to at least keep supporting previous generation of the product for at least 5 years after EOL of a product in terms of providing security patches when major security leaks have been identified.
    I would like to ask fellow 3G users to react to Apple too so this issue will appear on Apple’s management radar screen!
    http://infosecmedia.org/apple-bans-i...lk-from-forum/

This combined with the results from the Pwn20wn even that just took place makes it especially troubling.

Meanwhile three-time Pwn2Own champion Charlie Miller teamed up with colleague Dion Blazakis, both from Baltimore-based Independent Security Evaluators, to hijack the iPhone by exploiting a vulnerability in the mobile Safari Web browser.
    Ars Technica reports that the hackers visited a "specially crafted" Web page that allowed them to run an exploit code and retrieve contacts.

This year Pwn2Own contestants were required to test against the latest software as of last week, preventing companies from issuing last-minute updates this week with security patches. The hacked iPhone was running iOS 4.2.1 rather than iOS 4.3, which was released on Wednesday.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817...079TX1K0000992
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

Nice one Westin!

It will be interesting to see the EU reaction to this...............I will start winding up the G3 iPhone owners I know right now

EU law on product life and product support is a lot more stringent than in the US, and the EU don't "question Apple policy"...............they tell them what they will do.

Bring on the lions.................

I think it can be enabled by downloading newer version apps.

Sherinfriedler,

Please look at the blue bar above a post before responding, this thread is over 2 years old!

I think it can be enabled by downloading newer version apps.
    Rotten fruit doesn't work that way; you have to buy another i-phone or get some dubious hack off the net

Just like you can't replace the batteries yourself and other dirty tricks that rotten fruit are famous for.