Thread: 2 Modems...2 wireless connected PC's...Security Risks?

2 Modems...2 wireless connected PC's...Security Risks?

I have two Modems in my home, both with DSL on two separate internet provider accounts. They are not connected, unless you consider the phone line, before it enters the modems. I have a wi-fi connected computer on each modem. If someone has access to one of the computers, how easy can they gain access to the other computer? Thanks for any input.

Friend of Site Staff
    They have different passwords?
    Are you sharing between the computers now?

Yes they will have different passwords, different systems. No intended sharing between computers. One computer will have remote access. The other will be for my personal use.

Hi there Mitch, and welcome to AO.

This isn't what I would consider an area of my expertise, but over here in the UK, I have several computers sharing a wireless connection. I have to authenticate them to the router individually and I have set most of them to "public network", which means untrusted..................what you would use at a cybercafe or whatever.

With two independent connections that you describe, the only risk that I can see is that they are both using wireless, so if you set your personal one to be on a public network, that should make it invisible to the other? well, at least to the casual observer rather than the dedicated cybercriminal.

I would suggest that you ensure that file sharing and such is disabled on your personal PC at least............I don't know about what you are wanting to do with the remote access enabled machine?

I have always had a great mistrust of shared printers which harks back to the glory days of hackers, so I have several, and connect the newest one via CAT5/RJ45 physical cables. I only have two laptops, so taking them to my study to use the printer there is not a problem. It also connects to my FX 8350 and Phenom II x6 1090T (home entertainment). The other printers are ancient HP lasers and connect directly via the old LP1 25 pin? connection...... they are in other rooms in the house.

Hope that helps

Ok thanks, I'll try to set the personal pc to "no file sharing" Thanks for the help.

bro dnt try to connect ur both modems at same tym...u s2

ok. this interest me. is there a way for 'somebody else' to have access to your files if that somebody else is in the same wifi network? I've read about this somewhere that public wifi is not safe?

but on the technical side: how does one do it?

hoping some light.