Thread: Wireless turns itsef off?

Wireless turns itsef off?

Hi guys, here's an interesting one:

I have a laptop built by a local reseller, based on a Clevo chassis.

When I turn off and reboot it drops the wireless connection. After some investigation it seems that this is by design, as I have changed all BIOS and Windows options to prevent it.

I am not sure of the logic, and have been given two different opinions................ either it is to prevent interference on airplanes, or to protect you when you are in a public place with free WiFi..............or both?

It would seem that you cannot change it though.

I can use the Windows (7) fault finder from the toolbar, or Fn+F11 to fix it...............they both turn wireless on.

Hope that helps someone

Friend of Site Staff
    Go into device manager, that nic properties, Power management tab and take the check out.

Hi there Shay,

Many thanks for the response. Yes, I looked at all the Windows settings to no avail , but you have given me an idea though.....................because this was bought with pre-installed software I haven't looked at the BIOS settings, there might be something there?

I bought it without an operating system and installed Windows 7 Home Premium myself. I have this Compaq CQ61-420US (yeah! a grey import from Alabama ) that runs the same OS; as well as three tower systems, one with Home Premium, one with Pro and one with Ultimate, and an Asus netbook with Starter. None of these show the same behaviour.

I have heard that some machines do have this as a feature, but only associated this with expensive professional "road warriors'" kit. This sort of makes sense to me for people who are using their laptops in public places and on airplanes?

I just thought I ought to mention it for people who find the behaviour unusual...............if it didn't do it from the start, and suddenly begins to, then you probably have malware, otherwise it is probably OK, just Google to see if others have the same experience.

Friend of Site Staff
    Well maybe there is something in the BIOS at that.

Are you using the nic's connection program or the native windows on.

Broadcom's did that to me, just got reminded, until I switch to the windows one.

Go to see device manager and change the some internet settings after that you have to rectify the fault.

BacklinksVault
    Last edited by ananthapriya; July 31st, 2013 at 12:21 PM.

Seems like it was power saving related?...................... now it is set to permanently on, I don't get the effect.

I have heard from friends that some devices have this as a security measure though.

Friend of Site Staff
    I have heard from friends that some devices have this as a security measure though.
    That was set up for saving power, but I can see where they are coming from.