Thread: co. vs. inc.

Banned

co. vs. inc.

does anyone know the difference between if company is xyz ino. or xyz co.

Dead Man Walking
    Im not sure I understand the question but are you asking the differnece between the two? Or are you wanting know how to tell wich on it is.
    If you want to know the difference between the 2 I cant realy help out very much. But if you want to find out if a company is an inc or a co you can check with the state they operate from at the secratary of states office and they could help you out. Providing that it is an american company. Not sure about foriegn countries and how they handle it.

Custom User
    From what I can find out from wikipedia (the source of all knowledge ), a corporation and a company are the same thing. Now the word incorporate (i.e. inc AFAIK) means to bring together or something along those lines. The wikipedia definition of incorporation is the creation of a company, and so from this I would hazard a guess that an incorporation is when multiple companies have joined together to form one whole. But don't quote me on that. Also, check out wikipedia and google for the terms company, corporation, and incorporation and you might find a better (perhaps more correct?) answer to your question.

[edit] After another search on google, I think I've found the answer. I believe that inc(s) are the same as ltd (limited liability) companies in the UK. Here's a link that might (if you read between the lines, as it were) give you some more detailed info: http://www.inc.com/articles/1999/10/14610.html [/edit]

ac

Banned
    They're the same

A corporation ("a businesss that stands as a legal entitiy with assets and liabilities separate from those of its owner(s)") can take any of these names: Company, Corporation, Incorporated, or Limited - most states require a corporation's name to end with any of these.

Banned
    thanx ... are any of you owners of corporation or even sole proprietorship/partership in tech/security?

bascially if you are ... can you tell me if you are subchapter S - or subchapter C and why your choice better in tech/security industry?

Banned
    I'm just a sole propietor... no S or C there

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by gothic_type View Post
    From what I can find out from wikipedia (the source of all knowledge ), a corporation and a company are the same thing. Now the word incorporate (i.e. inc AFAIK) means to bring together or something along those lines. The wikipedia definition of incorporation is the creation of a company, and so from this I would hazard a guess that business incorporation is when multiple companies have joined together to form one whole. But don't quote me on that. Also, check out wikipedia and google for the terms company, corporation, and incorporation and you might find a better (perhaps more correct?) answer to your question.

[edit] After another search on google, I think I've found the answer. I believe that inc(s) are the same as ltd (limited liability) companies in the UK. Here's a link that might (if you read between the lines, as it were) give you some more detailed info: http://www.inc.com/articles/1999/10/14610.html [/edit]

ac
    Actually I believe that incorporation is the growth or foaming of a new corporation. It can be business, non profit organization, sports club, etc. It must be a legal entity that should be recognized as being a person within law. Anyway thanks for the link.

Hmmmm....................

Where I am in Limeyland it is 2013............last post on this thread was 2005?

The way to advance is forward?