Thread: editing of TCP packet headers using Ettercap

editing of TCP packet headers using Ettercap

Hi everyone,

i am new to network security, and i have some questions regarding Ettercap software, but first i need to give you a quick idea why i need it.

i am a testing engineer in a a company that develops embedded systems, and softwares. i am using a Hardware in the loop (testing PC connected to the real hardware through an Ethernet LAN) to check on the integrity of the processors boards.

i am facing a problem that the connection between the boards and the PC fails every time i am trying to connect coz the headers of the TCP packets being sent from the PC (testing software) include some wrong contents (xFFFF instead of x0000).

i need to modify these packets in real time, so i searched the internet for programs that do so, and i found ettercap.

unfortunately, i've found that ettercap can only change in the payload of the packet, and not the header.

1- is it possible that ettercap - maybe after a modify in source code - can change the headers of packets.
    2- after that how can this source code be compiled under windows, (win 7 specifically)?

thanks in advance

yup, i unfortunately we don't, . i studied a little about networks in collage, but never practiced as its a little far from my filed of study.

thanks for your reply, and it'll be great, if you could mention a couple of names for such programs .

Here is one you might want to use http://code.google.com/p/ostinato/ there are many others.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "If I'd asked my customers what they wanted, they'd have said a faster horse." ~ Henry Ford

hi bAgZ,

Thanks for alot for replying man

hi AronMawell,

dSPACE, http://www.dspace.com/en/inc/home.cfm