So, I am talking to a mate in my local restaurant/bar as we watch England teach Australia the finer points of the game of cricket.

Apparently he has two identical Tosh lappies which have been in a closet for 3 years because they performed so badly after a few months. I tell him to bring them to me................

Toshiba L300D model with a 1.9 AMD dual core of some sort and a date of mid-2008?

I kicked one off...................went back to the bar and finished off getting drunk then came home and found that it had just loaded Windows Vista...................not my favourite OS?

So I looked and saw that it was running 106 processes on startup!..................arrrrgh!

It had 1 GB of RAM ( single channel) that would run at 667. MHz, even though it was 800MHz DDR2.............single channel I suppose, and the FSB clockspeed?

So...........rather than watch paint dry for excitement, or turn myself into an alchoholic..............I took the RAM out of #2 and put it in #1..................amazing increase in performance!!!!

I then ran my usual diagnostics and optimisation tools (if you want advice and links please feel free to post to this thread.............I only recommend free stuff unless you tell me you have a commercial application)

THe WEI went from 3.1 to 3.7 and you could see the difference!

How in hell Toshiba were allowed to sell that crap with a Vista sticker on it, I do not know?

OH! I cut the processes down to 66 from 106