Thread: The killer in your PC

Hybrid View

The killer in your PC

So, a mate of mine has a PC that he uses for video rendering.................quite a stressful operation for a lot of PCs?

He buys an AMD Athlon II X2 270 to speed it up and finds that this doesn't work (like black screen?)...............

He moves a working processor into it, to see if it is the processor or the PC that has the problem, and that doesn't work, so he puts the processor back into the machine it came from.................and it doesn't work there now.

A very unfortunate case of timing I would suggest?..................the PSU has become a killer.

The moral is: DO NOT BUY CHEAP POWER SUPPLY UNITS.

Please give that statement a thought?.................the PSU interacts with all the PC components, and can kill the lot! and even yourself, when it sets fire to your home!!!

At a VERY MINIMUM you want power surge protection, high voltage protection, and low voltage protection.

A good quality MoBo will also help ................and you buy those on specification not name!

Friend of Site Staff
    If the new ps is light in weight, figure cheap parts were used.

Thus the cheap price. My 5 pound ZION was 8 years old when I chicken out and replaced it.

Client bought it. Told him straight how old it was, but 3 years later, that 600 is still pulling strongly.

Quote Originally Posted by nihil View Post
    ...The moral is: DO NOT BUY CHEAP POWER SUPPLY UNITS.
    I think that is one of the axioms that we should obey while choosing parts for our PCs.
    Last edited by PrsOstr; December 12th, 2013 at 11:20 AM.
    RAID software, SAN software to create a reliable storage from standard server hardware.