Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What causes online glitches?

Question What causes online glitches?

For example, I try to set up a new account at a new web site. I come to a field that asks for crucial information. I type a B and get an H, repeatedly. I need that B. I contact their support. They do not address the issue. That little glitch kills that site for me.

A password that worked two weeks ago on an established account no longer works, so I reset the password. The new password works, then it doesn't, then it does. The site requires serial information, then I save and continue. When I get to check out, an item I thought I had included in my cart does not show up at checkout. Plus, the site tells me I failed to complete steps, 3,4,5. I had to complete those steps to get to checkout. Something does not add up.

A rep at another web site sends me direct links to my material posted online. One link shows the material, a second link only goes to the home page, even though my name is listed in the link.

I've experienced a number of such glitches lately. What is the likely cause? A virus in my computer? A hacker? A random ghost in the machine?

What gives here?

Try a different browser or different computer if you have access to one to help rule out if the problem(s) are with the web sites.

Thank you for your response. I have the one pc and that's it. I use Firefox and Internet Explorer. These glitches happened while I was on Firefox. I cannot necessarily retrace my steps on IE in all cases. I could try IE for awhile and see if I experience more of the same type of glitch. Could a computer virus cause this problem?

Friend of Site Staff
    Yes, there is malware that cause that to happen.

STEP 1.
    Download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware: http://www.malwareby...lwarebytes_free to your desktop.
    (Malwarebytesis free to use as a manual scanner. Payment is only required if youwish to have it run and update automatically which is not necessary for our purposes)

***VERY IMPORTANT! Make sure, you update Malwarebytes before running a scan.***

• Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
    • At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
    • If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
    • Once the program has loaded, select Perform quick scan, then click Scan.
    • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
    • Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
    • When completed, a log will open in Notepad.

The log can also be found here:
    C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\log-date.txt
    Or at C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\log-date.txt

Thanks, Shay. Would Malwarebytes clash with Ad Aware and Speedy pc, which are already on my system? Speedy pc has a malware identification and removal function.

Friend of Site Staff
    SpeedyPC reputation at WOT (Web Of Trust)
    http://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/www.speedypc.com

I"d get rid of Speedy PC like yesterday.

Never heard of or had Malwarebytes clash with anything in all the years I have used it.
    Post the log. Do NOT attach as it will not be opened.

Friend of Site Staff
    Add information:

Registry cleaners/optimizers are not recommended for several reasons:

• Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.
    • Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.
    • Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.
    • Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.
    • The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.

Good to know. I've used CCleaner for years without any apparent ill effects. Mostly, I clean cookies, very seldom touch the registry and always save a backup. Same for Speedy PC Pro. MY pc always works better after a scan and fix. If it's a scam, as per negative reviews, it appears to be a useful scam.

Question: What causes slow running scripts and how do you deal with that issue? This has happened fairly recently; doubt it can be attributable to mentioned programs as I have had them for awhile. Thanks, Shay.

Friend of Site Staff
    Post the mbam log. Do NOT attach as it will not be opened.

Seeing the garbage that is removed will let me know if a couple other programs are needed.

And yes, some of that garbage will mess with the running of scripts.

CCleaner is okay, but cleaning the regs, seems you have been extremely lucky in my book.

My preferred TFC (Temp File Cleaner) as it cleans more and it leaves cookies and the like alone.
    http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/files...r-by-oldtimer/
    Last edited by Shay; September 23rd, 2013 at 04:59 PM.

Last night I installed and ran the free version of Malwarebytes 1,75.0.1300. It automatically updated itself. I ran a quick scan and something called PUM, lodged in my registry, popped up. I deleted it. That was all, but it turned out to be significant. PUM had prevented me from hearing the trial tracks on a new album to go live on CD Baby and it prevented a free day for a book in the Kindle Select program from showing up on my book page as free. When I have time, I'll run a full scan.

Is PUM something that had to be deliberated inserted by a hacker, or could it have gotten into my system by visiting an infected web site? Thanks, Shay.