Thread: HELP

AO's MMA Fanatic! Computernerd22's Avatar

HELP

I drove to a clients house and got a Dell Inspiration 580s series desktop running Windows 7. The system looks brand new. I opened the case very clean. Anyways, I plug the power cord into the tower I see lights come on the motherboard but when I hit the power button to turn on the computer it doesn't respond it wont turn on. I opened the case and front of the case (checking for loose wires) none were present.

I don't know if it's a faulty motherboard or power supply. I don't have a motherboard tester or power supply tester here with me. The customer wants the issue fixed. The system is less than 3 years old. I asked the customer if any lighting strikes or anything like that he said no....then I asked him when was the last time he was able to get online and he said March he didn't tell me this yesterday... What do you guys think it is? Mobo, power supply, misconfiguration etc....all help is greatly appreciated

ps; i hit the button it's dead does nothing. I checked the owners manual for that make and model dell looking for possibly a security trick but I need help. all help is greatly appreciated

Friend of Site Staff
    Does it have a dial up modem?

Remove the PCI/PCI-e cards except the video and try to boot up.

AO's MMA Fanatic! Computernerd22's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shay View Post
    Does it have a dial up modem?

Remove the PCI/PCI-e cards except the video and try to boot up.
    Thank you for the fast reply. No it doesn't have a dial up modem. However, it has an intergrated ETHERNET PORT in the motherboard. I'm not sure what you mean by remove PCI/PCI-e cards because there are no cards to pull out everything is like intergrated into the motherboard. I removed the battery ( i know this works for passwords) but I willing to try anything to get this up and running.

Friend of Site Staff
    Since there are no cards, seen lightning strikes 20 miles away burn out.destroy dial up modems, Next I would look for bad capacitors.

http://www.badcaps.net/pages.php?vid=5

Lots of images of bad caps here.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=bad+...w=1817&bih=937

Keeping The Balance CybertecOne's Avatar
    Standard (fail safe) protocol for failed MB;

unplug all expansion cards, devices drives and case fan power, remove the power button jumper lead also. Remove psu supply to devices except mainboard.

short the power on jumper with a screwdriver; CPU fan should spin up and beep codes ensue. If this fails try different known working Psu. If different Psu also fails = dead mainboard.

If works; reconnect device power and short power jumper with screwdriver. If works reseat RAM and power button jumper lead. Power on with button. If fails the issue is the power button itself.

I spent an hour once trying to find an alternate psu to fit a Dell slimline desktop only to find it was the actual power button. Replaced Psu, tested OK put back together... same issue!

Looking at the front of the case and the actual power button is does not depress 'evenly' ... by this I mean it is actually a plastic hinge so when you press the power button on the case the contact is not directly beyond your finger, its further along and, well - ever tried to turn a light switch on with a broomstick or the tv remote you were holding at the time?

I pulled the face of the case off and had a fiddle.. all good.

With the face off you can press the actual power on button to test the jumper wire but I have never seen that type of failure.

Let us know what the result it.
    Last edited by CybertecOne; November 14th, 2013 at 04:01 PM.
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein