Thread: Help upgrading XP TO WINDOWS 8

AO's MMA Fanatic! Computernerd22's Avatar

Help upgrading XP TO WINDOWS 8

Hello fellow members of Antionline.com I have a customer who bought a computer system running Windows XP last year on craiglist.

The customer is trying to install Windows 8 on his machine which is currently running Windows XP. I don't know the system specs of the machine because he just called me about it. The customer is saying it's stuck at the splash screen and will not load into the desktop.

-----> He is getting an error message DPC or Watch Dog Violation <--- what does this message me exactly? Also, how do you get around it? I personally, think the systems hardware might be to old to run Windows 8 but I won't know this until tomorrow? All help is greatly appreciated.

Friend of Site Staff
    What causes DPC Watchdog Violations?

Several things can cause a DPC Watchdog Violation to be triggered in Windows 8. One of the most common is an SSD drive that has old firmware not supported by Windows 8. Another likely cause is an outdated driver for one of your hardware components. For example, if your sound card driver does not support Windows 8, simply plugging in a set of headphones could produce a DPC Watchdog Violation error. While not as common, software installations that affect your system software could also lead to DPC Watchdog Violations and the corresponding blue screen of death.
    More at http://pc.net/helpcenter/answers/win...hdog_violation

Possible help
    https://www.google.com/#q=dpc+watchd...tion+windows+8

I hope he was not trying to upgrade, installing on a bare hdd.

Quote Originally Posted by Shay View Post
    More at http://pc.net/helpcenter/answers/win...hdog_violation

Possible help
    https://www.google.com/#q=dpc+watchd...tion+windows+8

I hope he was not trying to upgrade, installing on a bare hdd.

Hey Shay thanks for the fast reply. I'm going to update the all the drivers on the SSD, and the entire system what would be the best way to do this if I can not access the desktop ? I'm also going to make sure windows XP has SP3, all help is greatly appreciated

Friend of Site Staff
    XP does not have SATA drivers native to it.

If you have a XP cd with SP3 included, F6 the drivers in and remember with XP, you have to use a floppy.
    Then do a repair install.

I would suggest, jumping the hdd into a computer/ USB enclosure/ etc., salvage what you hate to lose and do a clean install to a hdd, And up date to Win 7 while as XP only has about 3 - 4 months left of support.

Quote Originally Posted by Shay View Post
    XP does not have SATA drivers native to it.

If you have a XP cd with SP3 included, F6 the drivers in and remember with XP, you have to use a floppy.
    Then do a repair install.

I would suggest, jumping the hdd into a computer/ USB enclosure/ etc., salvage what you hate to lose and do a clean install to a hdd, And up date to Win 7 while as XP only has about 3 - 4 months left of support.

The system the customer purchased was a (gaming system for his kid) this thing has 4 hard drives in it and two DVD optical drives. He had Windows XP installed on it. My customer bought a windows 32 bit windows 8 disk for 80 bucks. He took it home installed it, and now his desktop computer loads/freezes at the splas screen? The Blue Windows Screen starts showing the spinning little dots below but it hangs up and freezes for 20 (+) plus minutes?

I tried installing Windows XP and the same exact thing? After 90 minutes of getting know where. I left. I apologized to the customer I didn't charge him and he was cool about it. I never seen this issue. I checked the BIOS settings, I did F2 Automated recovery, tried F6 installed 3rd party driver for HDD. Any suggestions, Thanks, Mike

Friend of Site Staff
    Run a diagnostic on the hdd and test the ram. Got a bad feeling about one of them. HOPE I am wrong.

Then I would disconnect all hdds except C;\ drive, DBAN it
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/dban/files/
    Use the default which is 3 layers.

Now try installing XP from scratch.

4 hdds, per chance that rig was set up with Raid 0 from the factory? Seeing it originally was a gaming rig. More I think about it, the more I think it probably was and when the raid broke, kiss everything good BYE. Reset the bios disable the Raio bit., Dban the new C:\ and XP should install.

Thank you so much Shay, I will try that later this afternoon.