Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: is it a good idea to encrypt your folders (on your desk top)

It depends. It will make your computer slower, and everything more complex.
    You only pay that price if there is something that would justify it.
    For example if you are working for the FBI or CIA and you can’t risk that anyone steals your data and publishes it on the internet . Or if you are a scientist at Coca Cola and you have THE secret recipe on your hard drive.

Generally speaking, no. It is not a good idea.

hi - just getting started on the forum, but I was interested in understanding how encryption will lead to issues with one's operating system. How so? Thanks in advance!

I dislike the idea, mostly because of what people have suggested, that it will make your OS so so so so slow If you're not a secret agent, then I would say it's not that important.

It is certainly not a bad idea if someone else may gain access to your PC or simply use it with your knowledge. Just make sure to remember the password. I just had an issue with an encrypted zip file I used for storing my passwords. I was stupid enough not to make note of the password because I thought I would remember it anyway. Yeah but half a year passed and now when I needed to check a password, guess what happened... I guess that's why it's advisable to use a proper password manager, too.

It's not a bad idea, but I would not use encryption in this case. There are other measures to protect sensitive data.

It's great to encrypt your files, especially if you have important legal documents or banking statements, I would recommend a full disk encryption though for best protection.

Encryption vs Windows

One I encrypted The Drive and when because of some reasons I installed other version of Windows 8.1 Then The Folder was not opening. My very important files were locked because of this issue.

I would highly recommend that you encrypt all the files on your desktop or the ones containing sensitive information such as, personally identifiable information, personal health information, financial data, login credentials, and all other valuable assets. Locking your screen or your files with a password is not a sufficient security measure. People always think that passwords can keep thieves from getting in their computers and laptops. It is completely false since they can simply remove the hard drive from the device and with the proper technics and tools they can copy all your files including the ones on the desktop without the need of the passwords. Password access requirements can be an excellent first barrier to entry but cannot be the only one. Encryption will indeed make your laptop or computer operating system a little bit slower to open the encrypted files, but like they always say “better be safe than sorry”. Your are the only person who knows the value of your files. Make the right decision, encrypt them.

Some how good but my recommendation do not do this thing.

It is not wise to encrypt the entire drive as it can impact system performance. However I have several folders I encrypt which contain sensitive content.

I use PGP Desktop to accomplish this, see https://support.symantec.com/en_US/p...ktop-home.html