Thread: Help to protect my PC from viruses, spyware and other threats

Help to protect my PC from viruses, spyware and other threats

Hello, I am just finding a new but strong and reliable sofware for detecting and protecting my PC against viruses and malware programs adopted unexpectedly from the Internet? My kaspersky will end up in one week and i'd like to try another one. Which one is the most reliable today which stops threats and block unsafe websites?

Might start with these:

- Microsoft Security Essentials (Free AntiVirus)

- Malwarebytes' Anti=<alware (Free Anti-Malware manual scanner. Payment is only required if you wish to have it run and update automatically).
    Rad

Friend of Site Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by rlirpa View Post
    Might start with these:

- Microsoft Security Essentials (Free AntiVirus)

- Malwarebytes' Anti=<alware (Free Anti-Malware manual scanner. Payment is only required if you wish to have it run and update automatically).
    I agree but would add
    AdwCleaner
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/
    and
    Junkware Removal Tool
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/down...-removal-tool/

And when they say there is a new update, go back to the listed links to get them.

Friend of Site Staff
    My 5th tool is:

TFC. or Temp File Cleaner
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/tfc/

Protecting your computer from viruses and other threats isn't difficult, but you have to be diligent.

Install an antivirus program. Installing an antivirus program and keeping it up to date can help defend your computer against viruses. Antivirus programs scan for viruses trying to get into your e‑mail, operating system, or files. New viruses appear daily, so check the antivirus manufacturer's website frequently for updates. Most antivirus programs are sold with annual subscriptions, which can be renewed as needed. To find an antivirus scanner, visit the Windows Vista Security Software Providers webpage.

Do not open e‑mail attachments. Many viruses are attached to e‑mail messages and will spread as soon as you open the e‑mail attachment. It's best not to open any attachment unless it is something you are expecting. Microsoft* Outlook and Windows Mail help block potentially dangerous attachments.

Keep Windows updated. Periodically, Microsoft releases special security updates that can help protect your computer. These updates can help prevent viruses and other computer attacks by closing possible security holes. Make sure that Windows receives these updates by turning on Windows automatic updating. To learn how, see Turn automatic updating on or off.

Use a firewall.* Windows Firewall or any other firewall can help alert you to suspicious activity if a virus or worm attempts to connect to your computer. It can also block viruses, worms, and hackers from attempting to download potentially harmful programs to your computer.

Hmmmm...................

Well, doesn't it seem strange that we have two new members who put their postal (snailmail) addresses in their profiles?

I really don't think I would take computer security advice from them...............would you?

As for the other good advice and links:

Personally, I am going for the free edition of Avast! anti-virus coupled with ZoneAlarm firewall: they don't conflict.

Go for Secunia PSI to advise you of security updates to your installed software.

Spybot S&D also does a good job in immunising agaist infections.

Use Belarc Advisor, and go down the bottom to see that all MS Windows updates have actually "worked" rather than just "completed"........yes, that does happen, so you have to uninstall, then re-install.

Please run "Windows Update" manually on a regular basis............ some updates rely on previous ones

Cheers

I was just looking for an Antivirus software several days ago and came across with this. I made a deal yesterday and it appeared running so well. Let make a try for this

NO!..............moderator deleted spam link
    Last edited by nihil; March 7th, 2014 at 09:37 PM. Reason: spam

Ahha!

So now we get the spam .................... Symantec?................Norton?

Please excuse me whilst I go vomit............

The reality folks is that none of them work so why pay?

At best they only stop "stupid", and the days of that are very much over.

I am not going to regurgitate what the others have written. but; its a 3 step process:

step 1; up to date software, and software/OS hardening
    step 2; decent Antivirus, if your pretty savy you can get away with some of the free stuff otherwise go for one of the decent rated commercial stuff.

step 3; use good practices, this one is harder because good security is a process....

Friend of Site Staff
    Read:
    How did I get infected?, With steps so it does not happen again!: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic2520.html
    Simple and easy ways to keep your computer safe and secure on the Internet: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...r-safe-online/
    About those Toolbars and Add-ons - Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs) which change your browser settings: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/foru.../#entry3187642