Thread: TrueCrypt End of Life ?!

TrueCrypt End of Life ?!

Schneier on Security > TrueCrypt WTF
    I have no idea what's going on with TrueCrypt. There's a good summary of the story at ArsTechnica, and Slashdot, Hacker News, and Reddit all have long comment threads. See also Brian Krebs and Cory Doctorow.

Speculations include a massive hack of the TrueCrypt developers, some Lavabit-like forced shutdown, and an internal power struggle within TrueCrypt. I suppose we'll have to wait and see what develops.

Tags: encryption, TrueCrypt
    Posted on May 29, 2014 at 8:02 AM42 Comments
    --

Over on Krebs they're saying:
    The anonymous developers responsible for building and maintaining the free whole-disk encryption suite TrueCrypt apparently threw in the towel this week, shuttering the TrueCrypt site and warning users that the product is no longer secure now that Microsoft has ended support for Windows XP.
    ?
    Last edited by rlirpa; May 29th, 2014 at 04:58 PM.
    Rad

This is really very strange, what happened with TrueCrypt. In SourceForge it's stating that the shutdown of TrueCrypt project was due to Win XP support termination. Whet windows XP support termination has to do with this project? And why they suggets to migrate to Microsoft's BitLocker?

My feeling is that this project was somehow hacked.

Finally, look at the first sentence on truecrypt.sourceforge.net:
    WARNING: Using TrueCrypt is not secure as it may contain unfixed security issues
    Last edited by dalim; June 4th, 2014 at 04:17 AM. Reason: spelling correction

If TrueCrypt relied on Microsoft support for XP then it was total garbage from the start.........not true.

Micro$haft have bought them out...............I cannot see any other logical explanation?

Hey, if my product works with a supported OS and then that support is withdrawn, so is my support; but NOT for later and still supported OSes?????

Somehow the odour of rodent is very strong here

I'm not overly sure there is a conspiracy theory here, but I suppose one never knows. Firstly, BitLocker has fallen quite a bit behind the times. It does not support UEFI which seems common on Windows 8 systems. I've also run into trouble with it on Windows 7 systems that run UEFI. So, whereas it was wonderful to have open source whole disk encryption, I've grown frustrated with it and am not overly sad to see it go.

For BitLocker, things get a bit strange. It works fairly well on Windows 7 as long as you have the Enterprise edition. Otherwise, it is a no go. Oddly enough, it works on any version of Windows 8. So, in a nutshell, any Windows 8 system has free whole disk encryption as part of the OS. Note the free part, I'm not sure why Microsoft would bother with TrueCrypt as they are no longer making money off of BitLocker.

Unfortunately, I ran into a mixed environment where there were Windows 8 tablets, Windows 7 Enterprise, and Windows 7 Professional systems. TrueCrypt would not run on the tablets, BitLocker would not run on the professional OS's, and in the end I had to purchase a third party, proprietary solution to ensure the same type of encryption product across the board.

So, in my view, BitLocker sort of vanished a long time ago due to lack of updates. I don't mean to knock the application, it was wonderful that there was an open source solution, and I'd use it to this day if it kept up with times. But they stopped actively developing it a long time ago before this announcement.

Rad