Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slack Rules

Lightbulb Slack Rules

Since there were no posts in the *nix section I thought I would oblige.

I Love Slackware Linux. It is simple and clean, a good learning and server distribution.

Has anyone used Slack 8.0? What is new and is it worth the upgrade?

Sorry if this is a worthless question, but somebody had to start it off.

Thumbs up

Well, I have not used any of the programs you have mentioned, but I commend you for using your initiative to post despite the peer pressure not to (actually, i just kinda wanted to post sumpin in here....)

l8er
    Usually, no one cares what I think... If I\'m lucky, maybe YOU will :-)

--Alexander Paul Baston

Talking

Never used Slack, Use Red Hat 6.2 & 7.1 though. To me I don't think the distro would matter as long as I can have my iptables and apache server !!!!

Not too sure here but I think Slack comes with updated Gnome and KDE, also has both kernel 2.2.19 and 2.4.5? (not sure about that)

Gareth
    GShock

Lightbulb

You say simply, "never use slack" without any explination. This seems very dogmatic, do you have any reasons not to use slack. I have reasons not to use redhat.

1. Redhat is one of the most widespread linux variants therefore most exploits are scripted for it. Not all, I know.
    2. I don't like rpm. Say what you will but Slack's simplicity in its package system is a strength. Plus you can use rpm2tgz to make Slack packages form rpms.
    3. I like the simple directory style and straightforwardness of using text files for configs. Just run pico or emacs or vi or whatever and edit the files. You don't need a config tool for anything. (This was more of a why to use slack as opposed to why not to use redhat)

Hope I don't start a Holy war here.

Computer Forensics
    I use dragonlinux, a variation of slack...../me likes it alot.

Odd....I'd like to edit the first comment of yours. RH is the most widespread....it isnt the most exploitable though. It is due to the fact that it is used by so many people that it gets all of the press. I am sure that other variations would have just as many exploits written for them if they were used as publicly.
    Antionline in a nutshell
    \"You\'re putting the fate of the world in the hands of a bunch of idiots I wouldn\'t trust with a potato gun\"

Trust your Technolust

r-22
    I have recently looked on www.attrition.org and noticed a fairly large archive of logs and other things of the sort that refer back to JP and AntiOnline participating in questionable and fraudulant acts. Due to my support for www.attrition.org and www.netflood.net I am currently pulling all my posts from this site and ask for my account termination. If you, JP, find that at any point you feel you can be at least half ass honorable then I will consider posting here again.

Originally posted by oddvector
    You say simply, "never use slack" without any explination.
    lol, I said Never USED slack, meaning I hadn't had the chance to try it out. But then I did miss out the "d" on the second used, all I meant was

I have never used Slack but I have used Redhat. I do have to agree with you on the exploits scripted for it though. Ramen worm being a good example.

Anyway,
    Sorry for the confusion

Gareth
    Gshock

Lightbulb

Woopsy.

First off, hogfly about redhat, that is what I meant, just couldn't vocalize it at the time.

Secondly, it's good to see that with the new bbs we have a new level of maturity here.

Also, we need another *nix thread!

Windows users should feel left out. Go to www.slackware.com and download either zipslack or big slack and you will have a working distro of linux on your computer without having to repartition anything!

I find that most varinats of Linux are quite similar once you get past the comsetics. I started out using Caldera but find Slack just as good.

Computer Forensics

I agree randy

call an apple a rock if you want to....it still tastes like an apple.

get my meaning?

I like linux cuz its interchangable(the different flavors). it doesn't have to be win95/98/NT/2000/ME/XP compatible. Its LINUX compatible. nuff said.
    Antionline in a nutshell
    \"You\'re putting the fate of the world in the hands of a bunch of idiots I wouldn\'t trust with a potato gun\"

Trust your Technolust