Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Misc Worthwhile Windows Utilities

Lightbulb Misc Worthwhile Windows Utilities

Here's a list for ya all.

Zone Alarm - A great firewall.
    The Gimp - Ported to Windows it's a worthwhile imaging program.
    WinHex - An awesome windows hex editor. (Shareware)
    Axe - An awesome free hex editor.
    Lynx - Windows version of the ultimate text web browser.
    Net Cat - A multipurpose Windows networking tool.

I'm sure there's more but I like to contribute a little.

Arrow one more

Since this is a computer security site, the windows port of snort is also wonderful. Sniffer and IDS in one.
    \"If you torture the data enough, it will confess.\" --Ronald Coase

Let´s not forget about Fix-it utilities from ontrack.

Personally i have no idea why PcMag gave norton utilities a better rating that fix-it , It is without a doubt the best windows helping tools out there, and since windows is like it is i couldnt do without these kind of tools.
    Smile ... tomorrow will be worse

Banned
    IP-Tools : Ping, Trace, Netbios, PortScanner, Whois, Finger, Telnet, IP monitor...
    Jammer : port watch
    Tauscan : anti-trojan
    IDA Pro Dissassembler : dissassembler
    Cyberkit : Ping, TraceRoute, Finger, WhoIs, Quote of the Day, NSLookUp, Time Synchronizer, PortScanner, NetInfo and MailChecker. This one can't be bad, it's from Belgium.
    NetWork Sniffer : sniffer

These are items I would really recommend to any power-user or techie. AFAIK all these programs are freeware. (Or have a version you can use that is freeware)

Another Task Manager -- Very useful Win9x process control program

SysInternals Tools -- Several monitoring tools... for instance, wigh RegMon you can see real-time registry changes, and identify the program that did it and what keys it added or changed, Filemon, ditto for the filesystem, and a few more.

BinText -- Lets you search for 'text strings' (you can make your own filters) within files, and it can even tell you where the string will be in memory when the program is run (if an executable).

Windiff.exe -- Windows Tool, dunno where to find it. It can check individual files for changes, or whole DIRECTORIES (+subs) for files that are only in one location or the other, files which are similar, are different, etc.

There are a few that I would less-recommend, and a few that I would REALLY recommend but aren't freeware, so I won't bother mentioning either of them here.
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

thanks guys that really helped me. All I needed was cyberkit. I don't even know what some of that other stuff is.

Ask Why?

\"The most incomprehensible thing about the world, is that it is at all comprehensible\" -Albert Einstein

Banned
    thanks guys that really helped me. All I needed was cyberkit. I don't even know what some of that other stuff is.
    Always glad to help. If you have questions on 'that other stuff', just ask .

BTW: Cyberkit is 'postcardware', meaning it is free of charge, but you 'have' to send the author a postcard of the place you're living:

Luc Neijens
    Berkenlaan 8
    3960 BREE
    Belgium

That's BELGIUM!

Talking

Originally posted by Negative

BTW: Cyberkit is 'postcardware', meaning it is free of charge, but you 'have' to send the author a postcard of the place you're living:

Luc Neijens
    Berkenlaan 8
    3960 BREE
    Belgium

That's BELGIUM!
    Says the Liar to the fool!

haha

Ask Why?

\"The most incomprehensible thing about the world, is that it is at all comprehensible\" -Albert Einstein

Banned
    Says the Liar to the fool!
    Check the Cyberkit Help Files: Introduction and getting started: Copyright Information and Disclaimer...

its true Cyberkit is so called "postcardware"

and about "the gimp" for windows I never liked it at all
    to many bugs ... but then again that was awhile back.
    any one have any info if its got beter ?