Thread: How to disable netbios?

How to disable netbios?

This may sound simpel for most of you who are oh so much smarter then me (honestly), but here it goes anyway:

How do I disable netbios on win98?
    Q: Why do ducks have big flat feet?
    A: To stamp out forest fires

Q: Why do elephants have big flat feet?
    A: To stamp out flaming ducks

Computer Forensics

Netbios

Unbind it from your network card in control panel--->network. if you have a firewall, deny access to the NETBIOS ports 135-139 I think is what they are.
    Antionline in a nutshell
    \"You\'re putting the fate of the world in the hands of a bunch of idiots I wouldn\'t trust with a potato gun\"

Trust your Technolust

r-22
    I have recently looked on www.attrition.org and noticed a fairly large archive of logs and other things of the sort that refer back to JP and AntiOnline participating in questionable and fraudulant acts. Due to my support for www.attrition.org and www.netflood.net I am currently pulling all my posts from this site and ask for my account termination. If you, JP, find that at any point you feel you can be at least half ass honorable then I will consider posting here again.

Lightbulb

I dont' believe that is right. In Win9x default file and print sharing are disabled, netbios is not.

As for disabling it, you have to unbind it from the adapter you are using to connect to the net. If all you have is dialup and no net card good luck because it will bind back on you. The best thing to do is download zonealarm. It is an excellent windows firewall that is free and will affectively block those ports.

thanks... here's another one

Ok, that helps... i'm using TPF allready, I was just wondering if there was any way to avoid it (thanks hogfly, oddvector).
    Now, I got another question... when I choose selection bootup (you know, where you choose which things to load on bootup and which not), vnetbios.vxd appears... If I prevented it from loading on startup, would it prevent netbios from running at all? And if so, is it safe to disable it?

Computer Forensics
    personally I wouldn't disable vnetbios.vxd (well, I would but I'd test it first). A *.vxd is a virtual device driver, so by screwing with the drivers for netbios, a part of the tcp/ip suite you could screw somethings up. give it a try though and post your results.

Netbios is enabled by default when microsoft networking is installed. NETBEUI is its manifestation. (netbios extended user interface.) It is enabled for other computers via network neighborhood to browse to your computer by name.
    Antionline in a nutshell
    \"You\'re putting the fate of the world in the hands of a bunch of idiots I wouldn\'t trust with a potato gun\"

Trust your Technolust

Lightbulb

Like hogfly said, I wouldn't screw with any virual device drivers, but hey experimenting is what hackerdom is all about. Try it out.

Why do you want to disable netbios. If you turn off file and pring sharing there will be nothing to exploit. the netbios name port will give your computer name and workgroup name only if the querying computer and your computer both have the netbeui protocol linked to the network device your using. If you have no file or pring sharing and no netbeui the only info that is given out is the assumption that your running a windows computer.

Hope that explains it a bit more.

Originally posted by oddvector

Why do you want to disable netbios.
    Well... to make it short: just curiosity