Thread: Ok, another easy question: ICMP?

Talking Ok, another easy question: ICMP?

What exactly (or more or less exactly) is an ICMP packet? My firewall keeps popping up the following:

Remote: iah-core-02.inet.qwest.net [205.171.5.4] - ICMP [3] Destination Unreachable

Details: Someone on address iah-core-02.inet.qwest.net [205.171.5.4] wants to send ICMP packet to your machine

Details about application: tcpip kernel driver

Q: Why do ducks have big flat feet?
    A: To stamp out forest fires

Q: Why do elephants have big flat feet?
    A: To stamp out flaming ducks

Computer Forensics
    ICMP is a packet of data (TCP or UDP) to gather/recieve very basic info about the computer. PING is the perfect example. It sends out ICMP echo request packets to tell you if that computer is alive/on/connected.

Is that your ISP?either way...looks like you got pinged or tracert'd.

TPF is very configurable.....set a rule to deny all tcp/udp ICMP echo packets.
    Antionline in a nutshell
    \"You\'re putting the fate of the world in the hands of a bunch of idiots I wouldn\'t trust with a potato gun\"

Trust your Technolust

r-22
    I have recently looked on www.attrition.org and noticed a fairly large archive of logs and other things of the sort that refer back to JP and AntiOnline participating in questionable and fraudulant acts. Due to my support for www.attrition.org and www.netflood.net I am currently pulling all my posts from this site and ask for my account termination. If you, JP, find that at any point you feel you can be at least half ass honorable then I will consider posting here again.

Not my isp
    Q: Why do ducks have big flat feet?
    A: To stamp out forest fires

Q: Why do elephants have big flat feet?
    A: To stamp out flaming ducks

Lightbulb

I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Most of the icmp packets you'll see are the echo request sort, basically ping or tracert. If you set your firewall like hogfly advised the sender will get a host not found or host unreachable when they try to ping you.

r-22
    I have recently looked on www.attrition.org and noticed a fairly large archive of logs and other things of the sort that refer back to JP and AntiOnline participating in questionable and fraudulant acts. Due to my support for www.attrition.org and www.netflood.net I am currently pulling all my posts from this site and ask for my account termination. If you, JP, find that at any point you feel you can be at least half ass honorable then I will consider posting here again.