Thread: windows antivirus software for os?

Question windows antivirus software for os?

Does windows 9x, 2k/me or even xp have any type of antivirus software built in? Seems to me they could make a crummy one and jack the price up with the new "added security". But seriously, does any OS, Windows or otherwise have any real antivirus software? Just wondering.

Would you trust "Microsoft" with your virus protection too??
    "YOU'VE GOT TO BE JOKING??"

No, i wouldn't "trust" microsoft, but still, shouldn't they try to improve security throught internet explorer?

NO, I wouldnt trust Microsoft but alot of companys used their o/s. I.E. does improve security well but not always. When security expert found that Microsoft leaks or so. They always let Microsoft know so they will create new security.

The answer is no. Very few OS have this sort of thing as a standard. Most flavours of *nix don't include this either, although you will find this built into a mainframe OS. XP has a sort of firewall, but you would be very unwise to trust that to stop anything nasty from happening.

MS did include an Anti-Virus with MS Dos 6.22. I think if you did "setup /e" it installed it, otherwise by default it was not there. But they never posted any AV updates. Once Windows 95 (eventually) arrived, it was dropped. (just my 2 cents worth)

Windows 3.1 and MS Dos 6.22(not 100% sure on that one) had antivirus software. It was crap and was worthless against viruses but it was free and it made you feel better.
    Its not software piracy. I’m just making multiple off site backups.