Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows is insecure

Windows is insecure

What can I say? Windows is insecure and no-one in their right mind would use it for anything that required stability, security or reliability (i.e. everything but desktop publishing/word processing).

Switch to *nix ASAP, if you can't bear to be without Windows in case you need it (WHY?) then install a second hard drive.
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.

Banned
    LOL...We have a genius in the house.

Exclamation WOW...

Wow... thanks for the info. I never would have guessed...

Don't mean to be too harsh on ya, but I thought that everyone knew that Windoze sucks. Anyways, maybe it helped out some newbies... so new that they were in isolation and just figured out how to press the little button that looks sorta like (') with the flashing light next to it. Well, I guess people need to be told about this some way or another.

God bless you all
    Usually, no one cares what I think... If I\'m lucky, maybe YOU will :-)

--Alexander Paul Baston

What little button?

The main reason for the post was to get someone, anyone, to change from Windows to *nix. If just one person switches OS because of this then it'll have been worth the while.
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.

Red face

Am I the only one who is getting a bit tired with all of this Windows bashing?
    As long as you test it and configure it correctly a WindowsNT or now Windows 2000 server can be a secure as any *nix box.

A badly configured *nix box will be just a vunerable to attack as any Windows box.

Talking Microsoft is evil...but their systems can be secure.

I use *nix exclusively for work that needs to be secure. I would never use Windows for anything other than running a personal computer at home so I can play games. This is my personal preference. But if someone says that an operating system is more secure than another then they are sadly mistaken. Any valid OS, *nix, Doze, etc... are only as secure as the sysadmin make them. Thus, the most secure system has the smartest people working on it. That is why it is harder to break into Microsoft than it is to break into a military base run by 18 year old high school drop outs.

Exclamation WHAT!! ???

Ok I can understand that a person likes windows because it is the main operating software for GUI software. I admit I like windows for playing games and for work. Being a web designer I have to use a lot of software out there that is only available in windows. I love to play PC games in which windows is the place for that.

HOWEVER.....to say that windows is even close to being a secure system is nuts. I will admit that Unix is only as good as the person securing it but because of it being open source you know where the security weaknesses are. In windows you only know if microsoft tells you. I admit that my knowledge in security is only at a newbie level. I however have used linux and windows and if the software that I use could be run in Linux I would have no need for windows. I also know that running a webserver on a linux box is so much easier than any windows box.

Humm lets see Code Red ring a bell?? Did that worm hurt any linux boxes?? Then again who am I to bash windows when I use it day in and day out. It is sad because myself like so many cannot stand windows but continue to support it by using it. We get on here and talk about what crap it is but we are using it to post on here. I will admit that I am really trying to learn more about linux and work towards using it rather than windows. Now that I have started using the Opera browser which works on Linux and superseeds Netscape and IE I am slowly getting away from software that require the windows umbilical chord.

Cheers!!

Banned

Re: WHAT!! ???

Originally posted by FlashOveride
    Ok I can understand that a person likes windows because it is the main operating software for GUI software. I admit I like windows for playing games and for work. Being a web designer I have to use a lot of software out there that is only available in windows. I love to play PC games in which windows is the place for that.

HOWEVER.....to say that windows is even close to being a secure system is nuts. I will admit that Unix is only as good as the person securing it but because of it being open source you know where the security weaknesses are. In windows you only know if microsoft tells you. I admit that my knowledge in security is only at a newbie level. I however have used linux and windows and if the software that I use could be run in Linux I would have no need for windows. I also know that running a webserver on a linux box is so much easier than any windows box.
    You would sound so much more intelligent if you got your facts straight *before* posting.

Factoid # 1: Yes windows is the most exploited OS running. This is due to the fact that windows is running more than 85% of the worlds computers. This could be sumed up with the following example.

Example: If 85% of the world's automobiles were ford pintos then ford pintos would have the higest accident rating. Malfunction rating, etc. The more of one thing you have the more attention it's shortcomings get.

Factoid # 2: Yes windows is exploited more often than *nix systems. This could be due to the fact that there are 100,000 more kids online with little to no talent other than download a prog. designed to break into windows. ya know that whole "point-n-click" issue again. Security would be a non-issue if we didn't have a bunch of little **** heads trying to "better" the security of the internet. There are actually many more expliots written for *nix systems than there are for windows. The problem is that the KIDS do not have the skill or knowlege to use them.

Computer Forensics
    This thread is so queer.

Antionline in a nutshell
    \"You\'re putting the fate of the world in the hands of a bunch of idiots I wouldn\'t trust with a potato gun\"

Trust your Technolust

Banned
    Hog....Does this make you a "flamethrower Clone"?

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...0&pagenumber=3