Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: laptop linux box

laptop linux box

I'm looking for a dealer that sells decent laptops made for linux boxes...any suggestions?
    “People don’t talk about anything.” [Clarisse]
    “Oh, they must!” [Guy]
    “No, not anything. They name a lot of cars or clothes or swimming pools mostly and say how swell! But they all say the same things and nobody says anything different from anyone else. And most of the time in the cafes they have the joke-boxes on and the same jokes most of the time, or the musical wall lit and all the colored patterns running up and down, but it’s only color and all abstract. And at the museums, have you ever been? All abstract. That\'s all there is now...\"
    -A conversation with Clarrise McClellan and Guy Montag from Fahrenheit 451

Banned
    IBM or Gateway have some good *nix packages.

Computer Forensics
    I agree about the IBM boxes....afterall they make the e-servers with *NIX. Also, Dell laptops are very compatible with Linux.
    Antionline in a nutshell
    \"You\'re putting the fate of the world in the hands of a bunch of idiots I wouldn\'t trust with a potato gun\"

Trust your Technolust

Exclamation Things to watch for

I have heard that linux has a hard time with the modem/nic card combo. It also will have a problem with the mouse. I installed my linux on a gateway and I have had to do a lot just to get my cd rom and floppy to mount. I am still having trouble with my modem. I think that my seperate nic card is causing conflicts with my internal modem. Just some things to research on.

Lightbulb Sure...whatever...and then some.

Your cd rom is going to be tricky. What I ended up doing was to place a mount and open routine in /usr/local/bin/cd. This solved my problem rather nicely. It isn't hard to do...go to the /dev directory associated with your cd rom. do some playing and remounting ... when you find the right combination... copy the procedure into a shell script called cdopen or some such thing and away you go. I am in the process of rewriting my script in C and i will post it later.

As for other hardware problems...I won't tell you all the answers but there is a place you can go to get them. The hardware configuration and compatability link at http://www.redhat.com

Banned
    I have the answer. KILL Linux and buy a real OS like free BSD.

Computer Forensics
    Boy...aren't we the little gem of the day Quad?
    Antionline in a nutshell
    \"You\'re putting the fate of the world in the hands of a bunch of idiots I wouldn\'t trust with a potato gun\"

Trust your Technolust

Cool Compaq laptops

I have a compaq m700 and m300 and they are both running Redhat 7.1. The only thing I suggest, as with most laptops not made for *NIX operating systems is to replace the modem with a non-winmodem. Everything else on these two comps works great. I just had to replace the modem becasue they would only work under Windows. You can get a good 700MHZ for pretty cheap on EBAY also as these are "last-weeks" models.

Banned
    Originally posted by hogfly
    Boy...aren't we the little gem of the day Quad?

**** I sparkle like the hope diamond.

www.emperorlinux.com sells laptops preconfigured with linux.

I have Slack 8 running on a Toshiba 2140xcds Satelitte laptop. Winmodem is the only problem., and since I have a pcmcia nic and 56k it is a non-issue.

Jaxn
    •°JAXN°•