Thread: Here is a link I think we all need to look at

Exclamation Here is a link I think we all need to look at

http://www.linuxfreak.org/post.php/08/17/2001/134.html

This was posted to one of my threads by Chris. However I think that for a lot of people this is very interesting news.

Here is a thought: If the government and businesses keep going after those who either discover security holes by accident or those who look for them to notify the company while not doing harm. If these people are being punished all you will have left is those that do harm. To me it does not take the brain of a monkey to figure out that a malicious hacker is not one that notifies companies of his exploits. So they go after the people doing good??? Those who try to make them aware of there security holes???

Well anyways for those of you who feel the need to notify a company of their security holes.....those who I believe are the good guys. YOu might want to triple think about letting them know you discovered there weakness. Apparently you have a better chance at hurting them rather than helping them.

A nother tale......no ending yet.

I have found some security flaws for several of the companies in the building where I work. They are all wi-fi issues and am hesitant to alert them under fear of prosicition. I was wondering if JP could answer a question for me? I am wanting to anonymously alert these companies of the misconfigurations but know that even an "anonymous" email account such as this can be traced back to my netblock and log on times etc... If I were to send this info to them and somehow alert you (BCC) to what I am sending, is Antionline obligated to provide such info (above) upon request from the company? Let me know. I consider myself obligated to alert these comanies of the issue and want to do it in the safest manner. Hopefully they don't offer me a jogb and tell me to meet them at an airport terminal! ;-)

Banned
    I consider myself obligated to alert these comanies of the issue and want to do it in the safest manner.
    The safest manner?
    Thought u guys had something like the US Postal Services back there (isn't that what Lance Armstrong is sponsored by?). Use newspaper letters, stick them on a piece of paper you bought at Wallmart's (don't use high-class glossy paper with a waterstamp), WEAR GLOVES! (also bought at Wallmart's), put it in an envelop, go to a place you've never been before (and won't come again) and post the letter. Of course, don't sign the letter.

I'm sure you got the point.

BTW: Is everyone in the States this paranoid?

I don't know about the rest of the United States but I'm not sure the "kidnapper note" would look any less suspicious. lol I should probably try it though. It couldn't hurt I guess. Thanks man.

Banned
    No prob!

BTW: other usefull methods include carrier-pigeons, the good old throw-a-paper-around-a-rock-through-their-window-trick, and many more!

Always pleased to help,

yours in kindergarten-space,

Negative