Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Intel & AMD issue

Lightbulb Intel & AMD issue

Greets everyone..
    I know there's a thread somewhere on the on going debate over which processor is the best but I've got some news for you. Intel has cut it's prices to give AMD a run for their money.
    The majority of you chose AMD on the last thread cause it was cheaper but now Intel has made their product cheaper to stay in the game. Based ONLY on performance, which processor would you chose and why?

Remote_Access_

To some extent, I don't really care. I mean, the whole price/performance thing is an issue in and of itself, and it's hard to get a good idea what you're buying, but since actual performance has so many possible factors... If they're about the same power, about the same price, I don't care that much, although upgradability and the availible good motherboard combos are issues. I think I would go AMD for now, just because I hear good things about it
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

The cheapest processor I run in to...

although for ripping (mp3 and divx) I'd use an AMD, couse I can make a realy fast optimized ripper for AMD's 3dnow!
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

Another site I frequently visit has banned the word Intel. If you aren't talking about AMD they just don't wanna know! LOL...Performance has little do with it though, it seemed to be more price orientated.

When you get down to it, the name on the chip has less to do with performance (nowadays) than the mainboard, the memory , etc. etc.

With Intel. AMD, you might want to look at the actual specs but what does that really tell you about the processor performance......nothing.

Just get the least expensive and fastest one you can get.

I would choose AMD XP processors for the fact they don't overheat (when heatsinked properly,etc.) and per clock cycle get more done than their counterpart over at Intel.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

Lightbulb Re: Intel & AMD

Performance has little do with it though, it seemed to be more price orientated.
    - Exacally!.. That was the reason I was posting this thread.
    Not many people seem to notice the performance but rather base their opinion on
    which ever one is cheaper.. I can't blame you there.. If price wasn't an issue I'd go with Intel.
    ..But price s an issue and I'd chose AMD also.
    IFIntel and AMD processors cost exacally the same would you still chose AMD?
    I've looked up the differences between the two processors and one article said that
    Intel is slightly faster than AMD although no one could really tell the difference.

Remote_Access_

I read somewher that higher speed is more necessary for windows, while more memmory is more valuable for linux..

dunno if this is true though...
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

Originally posted by the_JinX
    I read somewher that higher speed is more necessary for windows, while more memmory is more valuable for linux..

dunno if this is true though...
    HUH?

They are kinda both important for any OS. Where do you come up with these?
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

With Intel's P4 now reaching the 2Ghz range I'd have to say "I'll take one of those thank you very much!" I'm not sure if AMD have reached those kinda speeds yet?

I used to have a P4 1.8ghz with 256mb RDRAM (RAMBUS ****) with ATA100 the whole shot and I have a AmD ATHLON XP 1800+(1500mhz), 256 DDR RAM.

Both used ASUS boards, same hard drives, video cards etc. Seeing that RDRAM was speced at 800mhz or whatever it is, I would of assumed the P4 would have been faster.

I was running Windows 2000 and let me tell you, The Intel was slower in most of the things I did such as booting up, games, office apps etc. Based on performance alone I would buy the AMD.

Price makes no difference, its all about raw computing power!
    You\'re either a 0 or a 1, alive or dead