Thread: Blue Death

Blue Death

well for me i prefer security,stability and reliability than ease of use but unstable and unsecure

blue death really is a pain in the monkey's ass
    the best
    there is
    there was
    there ever will be

Banned
    well for me i prefer security,stability and reliability than ease of use but unstable and unsecure
    I assume you're referring to the *nix vs. windows discussions. Most smart people do prefer a secure, stable en reliable system rather than an unstable and unsecure one.

Then there's the point of userfriendliness. Everyone has to admit that Windows used to be more userfriendly than any *nix system.

But if 'userfriendly' is your keyword in buying an OS, maybe all of this will change: the WinXP-registration method can hardly be called userfriendly, in opposition to the newer Linux-distributions.
    It seems to me that our friends from MS now that too, as one of their staffmembers called Linux a 'cancer' in a hopeless effort trying to undermine its position.

But here comes my point: suppose someone (not a pro) actually does change to Linux because of those reasons. You think his box will still be secure? It will be stable, yes, but secure? I doubt it.

And as for the BSOD's: there are utilities to change their colour. My 'blue screens' actually are yellow, and because of their smooth colour they already prevented me from formatting my Win-drive a couple of times.

Linux is actually quite user friendly, once you get past the fact that you always have to login and running as root could seriously mess up your computer.

The first time I used Linux I was able to get around the K Desktop Environment easily. As for stability, well the only time Linux has crashed was the first time I used it (and even then it recovered by itself!). Windows crashes almost every time I use it - and that's probably an understatement if anything.

With RPMs making it usually unecessary to have to compile from sources, Linux is probably almost as user friendly as Windows. The main reason why people think Windows is easier to use is because that it the OS they use at school, work and home due to Microsoft's monopoly. If every school in the country switched to Linux then in about 10 years time Microsoft would only have about 10% of the OS market - just like Linux has now.

It's all a question of what you're used to, and whether or not you're willing to learn new things.

pwaring.
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.

For all you religous finatics, maybe XP is part of Revelations. Where everyone who follows the devil has to receive The Mark. (i.e. everyone has to register and gets a unique key) I guess you have to be in that kind of stuff. That would mean Bill Gates is the Devil. And Linus is a messenger from God.
    You\'re either a 0 or a 1, alive or dead

Anyone have any problems running Linux and Windows on the same comp? I like Linux and want to run it, but the rest of my family hates it.

Banned
    No problems here (Win Me and Suse 7.2), except for Windows taking valuable space.

Thumbs down Re: Blue Death

Originally posted by 5aboteur

blue death really is a pain in the monkey's ass
    Hmm, who doesn't? I've gotten more kernel panics than blue screens, all current updates to both, go figure. My friends would laugh at me, while loading up a program on their Mac and it would crash, come on who are they fooling. I think any computer guru would love linux because they will take the time to experiment, play, etc. I don't think my mom would have the same desire or patience as me because it's just not her. She is a doctor and can talk over my head in medical terms, but I can always talk over her head in computer terms. Does that mean she should use linux and I shouldn't use a certain type of drug if I have a heart attack? You can't be an expert in everything, for most of the people in this world should they be called stupid because they use windows. That's like asking if my mom can call *you* stupid because you don't know what type of drugs to administer to yourself or know how to read a heart difib chart. I ensure you that you will find bigger monopolies in the medical business and they don't have free alternatives for people in the know

Question ARE YOU SURE???

have you ever heard of the word generic in which you can select the kind of medecine you would take
    the best
    there is
    there was
    there ever will be

Banned

Thumbs down

5aboteur, you really had to give a comment on knightmb's last sentence, didn't you?

I believe knightmb's comparison exactly shows what this whole nix-win discussion is about.

And for your reaction: you say 'have you ever heard of the word generic in which you can select the kind of medecine you would take' (without interpunction as we're used to by now) in reaction to knightmb's sentence ('I ensure you that you will find bigger monopolies in the medical business and they don't have free alternatives for people in the know').

1. For your information (maybe you already know, but that certainly doesn't show from your reaction): generic medecins are medecins from which the patent has expired. They were developed by monopolists. They certainly aren't for free.

2. You don't select the kind of medecine, you select the brand. It's not wise to change your doctors prescription into another 'kind' of medecine (unless you are, besides of a smartass, a doctor).

Yours in medicalspace
    Negative

Good point

Negative said "But here comes my point: suppose someone (not a pro) actually does change to Linux because of those reasons. You think his box will still be secure? It will be stable, yes, but secure? I doubt it."

You make a good point, but the thing is, yes - is probably would be more secure. Remember, now, you said "not a pro", so this person isn't going to be running all kinds of things. For the sake of an example, lets say a simple web server. When was the last time Apache had the kind of devestating holes that IIS has had in the past year? No service packs, no hotfixes, just load and let it go. Granted, if it is not a pro and they are trying to do more complicated stuff, they will quickly be in trouble, but they would be with Windows as well.
    \"If you torture the data enough, it will confess.\" --Ronald Coase