Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows Error

Unhappy Windows Error

This is a different post..........more of a cry for help Anyways, when i start up windows i get an error message about WININIT.exe. I don't know much 'bout this sorta thing, so I don't know how to get rid of it. I might normally ignore it, but I can't fix it and the only side effect i've found is it that there is only 1 program I can't run (which happens to be the only game I ever play anymore ). So if anyone has encountered this and knows how to fix it, pleeeaaaassseee, I need help!

Thank you,
    -Byz

Arrow

Unless you have a feeling this is a trojan or something, I don't think this question belongs on this site. What exactly is the error message, though?
    \"If you torture the data enough, it will confess.\" --Ronald Coase

Banned
    If the message is 'Wininit.exe cannot be run from within Windows', his question does belong on this forum! ;-)

From the MS Knowledge Base:

'When you start your computer, you may receive the following error message:

Wininit.exe cannot be run from within Windows

CAUSE
    This issue can occur if your computer is infected with a virus. The Win32.Weird and Bymer viruses are known to cause this issue.'

Every known problem should be in the Knowledge Base:

Click me to take me to the MS Knowledge Base, cause I'm too lazy to search for it myself

heh...well i'll be danged...I didn't even think the knowledgebase had information like that on viruses. I suppose it makes sense though.

Banned
    heh...well i'll be danged...I didn't even think the knowledgebase had information like that on viruses. I suppose it makes sense though.
    The Knowledge Base has information on everything... (if you're a good reader, you'll even find information on viruses, yes). I stick to my point: Windows can be as secure as any ¨nix box, IF you read the Knowledge Pages, IF you update your system when it says to, IF you know the weaknesses in your system . Hackers know the weaknesses in your system in your system. Shouldn't you? This is copyrighted... under US law.... By JP... And AntiOnline... That's the difference..

Arrow

*nix is more secure than Windows because you don't have to keep up on patches. *nix has fewer vulerabilities than Microsoft. For every vuln, there is a time when your box could potentially be compromised between when the vuln is found and when the vuln is patched. Because *nix has fewer vulns, there is less total time for it to be potentially compromised.

Thank you both for the replies, and sorry it's been a few days since i checked back. The message that comes up when windows starts is for WININIT (says the typical 'this program will be shut down.....'), when i look at the details it says WININIT.exe like i stated originally. The message says it's an invalid page fault, and throws out diferent numbers. I searched my comp for the wininit.exe program. when i tried to access it, a dos-looking screen came up and said that it couldn't be run while windows was running (like you said). anyways, i'll check the link you gave. also, i started up my computer the other day and my 'D' drive(2nd hard drive) was missing from my comp. i did just put it back in and it had all my stuff on it, but i'm guessing i did have a virus.

Arrow Free online virus scan

To check if it is a virus - scan your computer with Trend Micro's Housecall - http://housecall.antivirus.com/housecall/start_pcc.asp then go buy an anti-virus product.

Have ya'll heard of a 'CIH' virus? The site that supports the problem i was having with that game shows that i might have that virus on my computer. It pointed me towards a dos-run program called 'AVP'. Anyways, it takes a while to run through my stuff and i don't know if i'm doing it right. Is there any kind of d-loadable program that will find and clean a virus? If you know of one i'd appreciate it a bunch.

thanx again
    -byz

Banned
    CIH is the Chernobyl Virus. It's TSR (Terminate and Stay Resistant). It'll erase your data and try to overwrite your flash BIOS.

F-Secure should clean it.

If you're looking for other anti-virus software: Tucows