Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Microsoft's Principle

Arrow

In fact, when Microsoft was declaired a monopoly, there was talk about forcing MS to release the source code as a remedy. The government went to a bunch of computer/software companies and asked them if they would be interested in creating an OS package to rival MS Windows from the source code. Every one of them (including the likes of HP) declined.
    \"If you torture the data enough, it will confess.\" --Ronald Coase

Question ???

Your point being what?

A. Nobody can do anything to improve M$ Windows and it's applications when given the source code.

B. Nobody is interested in having the source code to produce new software more efficiently?

C. Nobody was interested in joining on the side of the government while the appeals process was beginning and thus opening themselves to all out war with a computer super power.

Arrow

My point was that no one wanted the source even if it was released.

Now why no one wanted it is a whole other matter and for each company I am sure there were different reasons. Obviously the biggest problem would simply be picking up a project as big and complex as the Windows OS and molding it into something that people would want to switch to.

Talking Golly Gee

Sarcasm mode : ON!!!

What?!? Nobody would want to pay their employees to go through the Million lines + of code??? What would be so tough about that???

Sarcasm mode : OFF

I am fairly certain that there are more than a few programmers out there that would be able to improve various bits and pieces of the software if given the source. But why would M$ let someone else do something that could be better than their next $49.95 upgrade?

Arrow

But why would M$ let someone else do something that could be better than their next $49.95 upgrade?
    Right. MS wouldn't. But we were talking about if MS was forced to release their source. If it was forced and whatever company decided to produce their own version of Windows got over the hurdle of finding programmers, the real problem would be to convince the computer manufacturers (Compaq, Dell, HP, etc.) to preload their OS over MS's. Any manufacturer who did would instantly be on MS's bad side - and you know what happens to companies that MS doesn't like: /me switches to Dr. Evil voice and places his pinky next to his mouth Companies Die!!!!

Talking Look at item C in my post ???

Then we agree!

ME SAYS
    C. Nobody was interested in joining on the side of the government while the appeals process was beginning and thus opening themselves to all out war with a computer super power.

YOU SAYS

the real problem would be to convince the computer manufacturers (Compaq, Dell, HP, etc.) to preload their OS over MS's. Any manufacturer who did would instantly be on MS's bad side - and you know what happens to companies that MS doesn't like: /me switches to Dr. Evil voice and places his pinky next to his mouth Companies Die!!!!

Ok....you got me

I think I had skipped the last part of C because I thought it would go on about how no one wanted to be on the government's side.

I promise to read better in the future. But yeah, no company in their right mind would take MS head on (at least right now).

are you sure

maybe you are just referring to US companies well maybe you should consider other places like india, singapore and philippine companies maybe they would accept such a "challenge"
    the best
    there is
    there was
    there ever will be

Banned

Talking

maybe you are just referring to US companies well maybe you should consider other places like india, singapore and philippine companies maybe they would accept such a "challenge"
    Don't forget Russia and other Eastern bloc countries. I'm sure there's lots of people out there who'd love to mess with Microsofts code!