Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Macs Suck!

Originally posted by MsMittens
    Actually, Macintoshes don't need to be for newbies and running a *nix system on Mac isn't new. Yellow Dog Linux, PPCLinux and SUSE are all versions of Linux that run on PowerPC. Heck, if you have older Macs MKLinux (I believe) has a version that runs on the Motorola 68000s.
    I know I shouldn't add to this forum's lengthy if fruitless debate, but I wanted to add a few thoughts.

I've been running Debian for about a year now on an old SE/30 I had lying around and it sits there being a static file-server day in day out. This computer has been with me for the last ten years since I wrote my thesis on it (which included 3D protein diagrams and POV-ray pictures). Sure - I was setting up colours whilst watching "1 bit" black and white, but they sure looked pretty when I printed out the enzymes on the RGB printer. Once OS 8.0 came in for good, I turned to a *nix solution to carry on. OK so the bus is a little slow for now, but the

The other side of the coin, recently my PIs and PIIs have had a new lease of life with the LRP (Linux Router Project) moving in. Suddenly we are back in the old days where 4Mb RAM was a lot of RAM. You can get versions of LRP to load up on a 4Mb RAM chip and still have room for a 2Mb RAM disk for logs. (...brings me back to programming the old 48k Spectrums and the BEEB). Suddenly, I have an excellent firewall, VPN client/server all running on something that goes for less than 5% of a new machine.

I suppose my point is that whether a Mac is faster than a PC is should not what we should be discussing - that's what the manufacturers want us to do. Instead we should concentrate on how we can write stuff (and reward writers of software) that doesn't need Mbs of RAM and disk space to function.

Which is easier to program..? Well, surely we can bring back the "good ol days" on the purity of *nix's in time...

Cheers,

PS. I haven't tried putting on a LR on the SE/30, it may be fun to give it a try, given it's all run in memory, I could add apache and keep my fileserver as well :> after all it's all about trying new stuff.

FreeAgent
    Macs are ok by me... Thats all I have to say about that...

Keepen it real
    FreeAgent

Both Macs and PCs have their own Pros and Cons.

It is a given that Macs ARE BETTER for graphic design and editing. I have heard that even IBM has macs in their graphic department.

I prefer PCs because I program them and I have been a happy owner for 7 years. I started on a PC and hated MACs but, I have now grown accustomed to them.

If you are going to purchase a new computer, really think about what you do. Whether it's gaming, E-Mail, Typing Reports, or even just browseing the web.

I have found that games and programming is better (in my own opinion) on a PC, while graphic design/editing is n-times's better on a MAC. If you are just going to be browsing the web, or typing, or the sort, it doesn't matter what platform you use. It's all about preferance.

-Peace Out
    -=Peabody=-

System_Overload

Thumbs down

FU*K Mac!!!!!

Banned
    i have to say system overlaord so far i have not been impressed by your posts they have not been much thought into them just radom i think im 1337nees but this has taken the cake **** mac no honestly macs are faster than most of ur pentiums thes days name 1 pentium that can be called a super computer? didnt think so g4's are os x is probably the most stable commercial os beats windows by like 100 times so before u post do ur reaserch please

Originally posted by RiOtEr
    i have to say system overlaord so far i have not been impressed by your posts they have not been much thought into them just radom i think im 1337nees but this has taken the cake **** mac no honestly macs are faster than most of ur pentiums thes days name 1 pentium that can be called a super computer? didnt think so g4's are os x is probably the most stable commercial os beats windows by like 100 times so before u post do ur reaserch please
    I agree, and I also think this thread has to be closed, it has been going on for quite some time.
    Macs don´t suck, but then again that´s my opinion.

This thread seems to really bring out the trolls and flames... gee, I wonder why...

I'm a mac user myself, I am certainly glad I'm not on windows.
    Compiling all the stuff for OS X...