Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Solaris 8.0 or Red Hat ?

Question Solaris 8.0 or Red Hat ?

Hi
    well , i´m quitting windowz , but i have a doubt ,should i start with the OS solaris or Red hat , i have both and im not quite sure ,who's the Supra OS .

Arrow

If you don't know *nix, definately go with Red Hat (or even Mandrake if you really don't know a thing).

If you do know *nix well, then it is really more of a personal opinion. I'd go with Red Hat, though - much better community support and more applications.
    \"If you torture the data enough, it will confess.\" --Ronald Coase

If it would be me making this choice I would select distro that has existant version of gcc.
    http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-2.96.html

Uhm, Comparing Solaris to ANY form of Linux is like saying, "Do you want to drive a Mercedes, or a Ford?" Give me a break. Solaris is top dog when compaired to Linux. Linux is a UNIX-like play thing. If you're serious about your switch, and have practical reasons, something other than "I hate Windows because it's sucks." Then choose Solaris, otherwise, you deserve Linux and all the headaches you'll get from the lack of understand about how Open Source is killing Linux.
    Jason Parker - http://www.o-negative.net
    o-Negative: Information Network

First off, I congragulate you for deciding to quit Winblowz.
    Next off, Just from my short experience. I have used both and enjoy Redhat 7 over Solaris.....PERIOD. That's all I got to say, Now I just need to quit Winblowz for good......

First off, I congragulate you for deciding to quit Winblowz.
    Next off, Just from my short experience. I have used both and enjoy Redhat 7 over Solaris.....PERIOD. That's all I got to say, Now I just need to quit Winblowz for good......
    I'm sort of addicted....It's sorta like cigarettes....You know it's bad, but you've your hooked.......

Cop out.

Lets hear some of your reasons why you think that RedHat is better than Solaris.. (This will be fun.)
    Jason Parker - http://www.o-negative.net
    o-Negative: Information Network

Computer Forensics

red hat vs Solaris

first off....you are comparing Apples to Oranges. Red Hat will never be able to match the sheer number crunching abilities of a true UNIX computer (which is what UNIX is designed to do). in that regard there is no comparison.

jpark :why is redhat better you ask?

1) its easier to learn, and the updating features are great. Some people may want to install the packages and not use RPM's but for those that do, you can't beat the direct connect to redhat for the new updates and patches.

2) Xinetd kicks the crap out of the standard inetd....especially the default in Solaris.....dare I say 35 installed and open services in Solaris.

there are 2 reasons for you.

ps whoever said that Solaris doesn't have a great support network and community knowledge. take a look around...what community are you in? are you from zimbabwe?

sheesh
    Antionline in a nutshell
    \"You\'re putting the fate of the world in the hands of a bunch of idiots I wouldn\'t trust with a potato gun\"

Trust your Technolust

RedHat is decent, SuSE might be better

Due to the fact that you're simply wanting to start a new system, I would recommend Linux over Solaris. Perhaps SuSE, which over the years has become quite user friendly, might be a solution. But if you want to start at zero and build up, then YES Mandrake is definitely #1 in that area. Its like freakin MSLinux, but at least ya got all the console commands to get familiar with. RedHat 7 was a true bitch with all its bugs, but 7.1 had great improvements.

I hope this gives ya some more info on what to expect.
    \" Does anyone ever ask you if you\'ve got a case of the \'Mondays\'? \"

Re: RedHat is decent, SuSE might be better

Originally posted by insta
    Due to the fact that you're simply wanting to start a new system, I would recommend Linux over Solaris. Perhaps SuSE, which over the years has become quite user friendly, might be a solution. But if you want to start at zero and build up, then YES Mandrake is definitely #1 in that area. Its like freakin MSLinux, but at least ya got all the console commands to get familiar with. RedHat 7 was a true bitch with all its bugs, but 7.1 had great improvements.

I hope this gives ya some more info on what to expect.
    Did someone say Mandrake? I never was into the who "graphics" thing before with Linux, just stayed with the console, but after downloading 8.1 distro and installing, I was quite impressed. If you are fleeing from windows, I would strongly suggest trying their distro first. Here is a screenshot of my KDE desktop to help calm fears about booting up with just a console all the time
    Attached Images Attached Images