Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Solaris 8.0 or Red Hat ?

If your serious about getting away from MS and going to the dark side then i would suggest a BSD. There was a good discussion awhile back on bsd vs linux i think. Maybe it was on a different board but bsd has linux beat pretty much. And yes you can run linux stuff on BSD.

bsd vs linux

i'm thinking of upgrading my systems from redhat 6.2 to rh7.1

but bsd is also a considered .

can anyone know where can i find an articale compering the two systems ??

thanks

my two and a half

Solaris...I personally don't even consider RedHat...the reason they have more "support" well...let's see...they have more problems... ...slakware comes first on my list mainly because I have never used solaris...i do have a beta copy of release 8.* ... i don't have the room on my current puter for anything...linux doesn't have the drivers for half of the crap i have for the stupid box...hogfly...apples and oranges??? only windows is fruity

Lightbulb beginners and linux

As far as Changing to linux goes I had to try out 4 different types before I was comfortable. I have used Slackware, Mandrake, Openlinux, and RedHat. They all have there good and bad points. But IF you don't have a clue and want to go with something personal and easy, and are not wanting to actually build a network, go with Mandrake. But your best bet would be to install one try it, install another try it, and so on untill you find one you like.
    Whats a \"START\" button?

I liked the Ford and the Mecedes comment. You should consider whether or not you would prefer to go with a stronger OS or somthing that is publicly maintained. I would go with Solaris, but look at your hardware and see what kind of support each OS boasts.

This is just my opinion but, if you are looking at it from a career perspective. I have seen more demand (and higher compensation) for someone with Solaris skills.

Not all of the *nix products out there are equal, but if you're looking for a relatively easy install, or you want to run a partitionless install, however slow, to just get your feet wet while you're taste-testing, I'd recommend Red Hat Linux 7.1. Easy install, and you get to try out all the 'toys' without jeopardizing your existing OS. When you're done trying it out, or when you're ready for a full blown install, just delete 2 simple files, and reclaim all your HDD space.

Just my 2c worth...

Verdure