Thread: os x

Cool os x

OS X is really nice. There is no way anyone can bash it. atleast thats what i think. It even comes with sshd, ftpd, and httpd. It uses tcsh as the default shell. I just got an ibook (white) running OS X . Its my first non-PC venture. I have no regrets. what do others think about OS X?
    --Absurd Hero

Banned

What do I think...

OS X is just BSD with a windows GUI...Nothing new but still good.

Lightbulb heh

Just BSD? BSD alone rocks. Adding a superior GUI to it makes OS X the best OS I have ever used.
    --Absurd Hero

Re: What do I think...

Originally posted by NoNeckJoe
    OS X is just BSD with a windows GUI...Nothing new but still good.
    If it were "just BSD" it would be a whole hell of a lot easier to compile BSD apps for it.

OSX is Apples new Microkernel OS. Since BSD has a monolithic kernel this makes it fairly different. I am not extoling the goodness of microkernel vs. monolithic, I am not a kernel hacker, not does that really interest me. What interests me is the fact that it is a consumer OS with true protected memory.

OS X has many good points, it has many bad points. (Like everyother OS has flaws, even Windows 95 ).

Before you go lambasting something you might want to find out what it is.

Once OS X 10.1 comes out I will be a happy man.
    Once I can start setting up my BSD box, and playing with it. I will be a very happy man.

Mac OS X gui is a little on the flashy side, but then so is Windows XPs.

Dhej

not just flashy

OS X looks far better than XP to me. XP looks cartoony and can only begin to emulate OSX features. The lack of skins for OSX is a minor disapointment. I ha ve heard of usermade skins though. Anyway, I like the feel of OSX vs. XP although they both are pretty nice. The bottom line is, OSX=BSD WinXP=WinNT. BIG difference.

not just flashy

OS X looks far better than XP to me. XP looks cartoony and can only begin to emulate OSX features. The lack of skins for OSX is a minor disapointment. I ha ve heard of usermade skins though. Anyway, I like the feel of OSX vs. XP although they both are pretty nice. The bottom line is, OSX=BSD WinXP=WinNT. BIG difference.