Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: The State Of AntiOnline 8/19/2002

Banned
    1. What NEW features would you most like to see added to the AntiOnline website?

I can't think of anything but custom titles...
    Bringing the news back is something you could spend that 10k on...

2. What CURRENT features would you change, and how (excluding the antipoints system)?

Hmmm...nothing...

3. How would you describe the current mood in the forums, does the mood need to be improved upon, and if so, how?

Improving the mood of more than 100,000 users... If one could do that, he'd be president.
    The overall mood is not as bad as most people seem to think it is though...

4. How would you rate our current ability to keep flames and spam to a minimum in the forums?

If one would compare the current rate of flames and spam to the rate of let's say 8 months ago, you can't deny things have changed... I'm not sure if that's an improvement though.. I kinda miss it.. *shrug*

5. How often do you read posts in the forums? What might make you want to read them more often?
    I've come to the point where I only read General Chit Chat, Tutorials and Cosmos, at least twice a day. Not because I don't want to read the other forums, but because I ain't got enough time to read them all...

6. How often do you make a post to the forums? What might make you want to post more often?

I often start writing something, then come to the conclusion that what I'm about to write has been said before/has been done before.

7. What is your opinion of the current AntiPoints System? How would you change it, if at all?

The major problem with the system (and with any system) is that it ain't human, imo.
    The AP system doesn't distinguish between posts intended to ruin a perfectly good thread and posts by users who don't get the hang of how things work around here yet: it'll make both threads go suicidal.

** Inappropriate threads: **

The poster will get negged and the thread goes suicidal. I don't see any problem with that.
    Depending on the level of inappropriateness, a moderator can decide to completely delete the thread.
    Problem: most forums don't have a moderator...
    A moderator could also close the thread before someone gets a chance to neg it to death, preventing the poster from getting negative antipoints.
    Problem: if you post an inappropriate thread, the amount of negative antipoints you'll receive depends on whether the moderator is awake or not...

My opinion: let the system deal with inappropriate threads. Let the moderators decide on a possible delete of the entire thread afterwards...

** Insulting posts in perfectly good threads, posted only to make the thread go suicidal: **

The system will make the thread go suicidal. A moderator could prevent that by deleting the post in
    question - if he'd be watching the forums 24/7...

My opinion: a moderator should be able to re-open such threads after deleting the post in question...
    There probably will be some conflict with the already suicidal state of the post, so my suggestion is this: if a moderator deletes a post, the antipoints for that post should be deleted as well... not the poster's antipoints, but the antipoints counting for the overall status of the thread...
    That should make the thread automagically re-open itself anyways...

In general: the system is fine, but I think moderators should have the option to overrule it...
    Moderators shouldn't have the option to influence antipoints/shouldn't be able to ban though: that's up to JP. A moderator's job is to moderate the discussions, not the personal aspects...

8. How would you rate the speed and availability of the AntiOnline website?

Speed is more than good enough for me... a message saying 'AntiOnline will go down in 5 minutes for updates' or something would be nice.

9. If you had $10,000 to spend to further improve the AntiOnline website, how would you spend it?

News...

10. What is your current opinion of the way that I'm personally running the site? What would you do differently if you were me (I can take criticism, so don't worry about voicing your true opinion)?

Sometimes people get the impression you don't care about the forums/irc because they don't see you around... untill you pop up one day and take care about everything that needs to be taken care off...

1. News sounds good. That would probably clean up the forums also, alot of the posts are links to news stories.

2. There are too many forums. Many are not in use, and a lot more posts could be posted in the general chit-chat forum. With all these forums the site is not longer security related nor computer related. There are too many IMO uninteresting posts in the Cosmos & tech-humor & addicts forums. Especially the Cosmos forum is crap.

3. I think there were more interesting threads when I first came here. There were more flames & heated debates also, but I think they only improved the site. Except for those lame threads with the only intention to insult others...

4. I think most of the spam & flames are gone. Gone is also the initiative to create controversial threads, as they will be "flamed" with antipoints... I guess the AP system could need some improvement.

5. Twice a day when I'm not busy working. More tech-people on the board would make it better. Programmers would be nice! That could make the techie-discussions more interesting.

6. I answer to questions whenever I can... And I post a tutorial sometimes.

7. I guess the antipoint system reflects it's users. You'll get lots of points if you post a tutorial on stuff that the web is already full of, like html syntax or visual basic hello-world. And you'll get lots of points if you start a debate on death-penalites. (You'll get extra points if you say you are for, and that murderers are filthy animals who deserve to be tortured).

Often good posts will get no points at all, and dissappear in lots of BS. This is the AO's biggest problem IMO.

8. Excellent!

9. Don't know.

10. I think you do a great job! This is possibly the best forum on the web!
    ---
    proactive

1. What NEW features would you most like to see added to the AntiOnline website?

I agree with the news suggestions.

Also maybe a "formalised" experts panel, we all have unique skills, and it would be good to have an "ask an expert" function where people could submit a question to a volunteer(s) expert. As for making it work maybe a person could choose from a series of dropdown menus. so if for instance I had a Linux question I could choose "linux" and "TCP/IP" and this would then generate a P.M that got sent to one or more of the people who had volunteered to be TCP/IP experts with linux.

The replies could be kept so that they formed an indexed FAQ that came up before the question could be submitted (thus eliminating repeat questions)

As for abuse, you could cut down/ stop that by making it avaliable to only those who had a certain number of forums postings under their belt.

2. What CURRENT features would you change, and how (excluding the antipoints system)?

I'm not sure i could recommend anything here. maybe something will come to mind later.

3. How would you describe the current mood in the forums, does the mood need to be improved upon, and if so, how?

I think there maybe a reticence to post especially those "dumb" questions we all have from time to time, due to there being somewhat of an elitist atmosphere at times. (but this is only very minor)

4. How would you rate our current ability to keep flames and spam to a minimum in the forums?

Excellent

5. How often do you read posts in the forums? What might make you want to read them more often?

As often as I can

6. How often do you make a post to the forums? What might make you want to post more often?

When i feel I have something to offer, or an opinion that's relevant

7. What is your opinion of the current AntiPoints System? How would you change it, if at all?

Personally I'd can the balanceing feature. I give out APs to reward posts that i find useful etc, and for this to remain effective I have to then respond to posts that I don't like. (something I'd rather not do)

Very good I'm on 56k here until i can get my DSL account moved, and pages load fairly fast

9. If you had $10,000 to spend to further improve the AntiOnline website, how would you spend it?

Hire someone to moderate

10. What is your current opinion of the way that I'm personally running the site? What would you do differently if you were me (I can take criticism, so don't worry about voicing your true opinion)?

Carry on as you are, but be as approachable, and as fair as you can.

11. Free for all. Any other comments that you might have......

maybe later I have to go use the bathroom. :-)

Regards.

All spelling / grammatical errors are a deliberate attempt to protect my IP, and not due to my bad spelling and grammar as might otherwise be suspected. hehehe

I do have a suggestion JP....why not edit the metatags and keywords and exclude any reference about "hacking" and such.This does cause a bit of concern to any Network Admin when he checks his web access logs(at least this has happened to me). Most times whenever am in a cyber cafe and log into www.antionline.com, the Net-admin/Sys-Admin comes to me and say-*y am i browsing an Hacker-site, that this is NOT allowed inhere, i tried expalning to him, that this is NOT an hacker site but rather a SECURITY site, but he never beleived me,and this went on untill i was Banned from the cyber space, banned NOt to come into the place anymore, that am an hacker browsing an hacker's site*. w00t

Well as Jeoy said "The forum topics, I would suggest spreading them out such as "Hackers.com's BBS Forum"

well, Totally Bad to me>> The flow of -AP is out of hand>> just b'cos they dont buy the idea of a post in any Forum, then that dosen;t mean they should negg that post, but ppl negg posts just because they don't buy the idea OR they don't like the subject of the Post, OR someone makes a Post in a wrong Forum.

well, i think the flaming is getting minimum nowadays and spam is what we can't STOP.

well, to be sincere am really current about new post, i read alot and i think my knowlegde/skills has really improved a lot cos of THOSE posts in AO, and also i think AO Tutorial Furom is da Bomb.

well, i once did very often , but NOT untill the Antisysten stuff was introduced,and i started getting neggs. SEE #7

This is the exact question,ve been waiting for.>> The Antipoint system sucks, and i think some ppl are misusing their power to issue -Ap to users and also to balance thier Antisystem. This is almost my xx account in AO just because of the Antipoint system. Am not able to use a single account, just because there is NO FREEDOM OF SPEECH, i can;t express myself, i dont really have a chance to say my mind, to make a comment, just bcos am scared of been negged, getting scared of banning my account in AO.
    I 1st got my account banned in AO as an Antionline Addict, just for making a post,,just 1 post, and i wonder y, the Antisystem **** should be able to allow this, a user shouldn't be able to be banned from just one post, just one post
    2nd account also got banned as a Juniour member, just because this user "Negative" just kept negging me, and negging me, and kept issuing -AP on my post until i got banned.
    3rd account got banned also just for making a post, just a post about "Osama-Bin-Laden", and i was negged till death, negged till i got banned.
    4th and the rest are still alive living with a little -AP with them.

cool to me, and totally exellent.

well, i dont wanna think about that, but even if i gat such money i will NEVER spend it on Antionline cos of its Antipoint system, i cant spend my money in a place where users keep neging each other, keep issuing neggs, and where there is no "FREEDOM OF SPEECH"

>> well u're running the site well and exellent to me, but really u should participate more in the chat room, see those AO users who really helps others out, helps Guests out, answer questions in the chat rooms. I think the chat room should be more effective than the furom cos in the chat room, u feel free to answer ppl, feel free to help others , but in the furom, u get scared just because someone might disagree with you,and issue u negs.
    So JP if u really spend more time in the chat room, u really gonna know and notice * who is who* who really helps and contribute to others .

first JP, i really wanna thank you for making this post, cos i have never had the chance to do so, cos i know if i make such a post OR make a post about how am feeling, i guess the post will surely had commited 'suicide' and i would have been neged to 'death' by now, and my account would also have been 'banned'
    so JP, i really apreciate this, and i think am the happiest Guy for now, so BIG THANKS to you. Also am happy that for the 1st time am able to say my mind--without fear, without worring about -AP on me, without any flame on me.

PS: Edit: lastly, well Negative keep issuing me negs, do whatever u like, i dont care anymore it only takes less than 5minutes for me to create another account in AO, and i can have as much as i want. I had to create lots of accounts in AO just BECAUSE OF YOU, just bcos u suck, and u are a pain in my ass and to others.
    well Negative, I thank God for u that u aren't in Russia, cos if u were i would have smoked ya ass by now OR sold u to the Skin Heads inhere.

well, JP may The Almight GOD be with you,and guide and bless you in all your dealings(amen). Lets keep AO as #1.
    JP, if i am ask u a question, can the Antipoint system be cancelled? y NOT put a vote on this.
    Thanks.

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=233646

Webius Designerous Indiginous
    Originally posted here by bofhandpfy

I agree with the news suggestions.

Also maybe a "formalised" experts panel, we all have unique skills, and it would be good to have an "ask an expert" function where people could submit a question to a volunteer(s) expert. As for making it work maybe a person could choose from a series of dropdown menus. so if for instance I had a Linux question I could choose "linux" and "TCP/IP" and this would then generate a P.M that got sent to one or more of the people who had volunteered to be TCP/IP experts with linux.

The replies could be kept so that they formed an indexed FAQ that came up before the question could be submitted (thus eliminating repeat questions)

As for abuse, you could cut down/ stop that by making it avaliable to only those who had a certain number of forums postings under their belt.

This has to be one of the best suggestions I have ever seen on this board. I would definetly implement this JP.

1. i think a online vulnerablity scanner would be a good idea, after all it is a security site so why not test your security. It should then aslo tell you ways of fixing the problem and give you all the infomation about it.

I think you doing a great job at the moment.
    If its not broken it can still be inproved.

if I was to improve I I would place diponiveis more types of languages, the Spaniard and the Portuguese.... but tambem would place a dedicated part the programming and linux and bug's and tambem would place more interesting texts! but the site is excellent!

Brass ssssiiillllll llll

I would love to wear a challenging made AO T-shirt; the samantics of "antionline" it's intriguing enough for some minds.Just a thought !!

Senior since the 3 dot era

Re: The State Of AntiOnline 8/19/2002

a "log out button" on every page

the text files and download part needs an update, but perhaps they better get integrated into the tutorials forum? The forum part of the site is dynamic, but the other things...?
    A more frequent update of the member spotlight

not so good, people are whining. A lot of regulars seem to post less or seem to be angry at eachother somehow?

excellent, perhaps 150%, even something that only looks like a flame is negged to death.

hmmm... I used to read the posts almost 24u/24 7d/7 but that's bad for relationships

I post when I have something to say, or feel the need to reply. I'm happy that I'm no longer addicted to AO

help, no more changes like the Miyagi thing
    The ability to get more then 11 dots? or some 12th "gold superdot"

Availability is not ideal yet, sometimes AO is completly down, but overall it's good. The speed is amazing but in peak hours... sometimes a little slow. Overall: good

If you had $10,000 to spend to further improve the AntiOnline website, how would you spend it?

Promote AO in Europe. For instance send the European top10 members a T-shirt
    hmmm... joking...

Make the availability and speed higher. Do something about the outdated parts of the site.
    Get the wargames running. Get an online vulnerability scanner like sygate has.
    But, the real improvements come from the community. If posts are of poor quality AO too.

I think the way you run it is ok. You seem to be a little 'cool' to some people or absent.

this site is damm addictive.

Old Fart
    You have a hellacious bunch of responses to read, so I'll keep it brief. I pretty well agree with what Negative had to say...he made some damned good points.

The only question I'll address specifically is #10....and my answer is...the fact that you were willing to post a thread like this is evidence of both the fine job you are doing and how much you really care about the site. Keep up the good work!
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...