Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AO nag screen for non-members

AO Ancient: Team Leader

AO nag screen for non-members

Is it just me.......? Or are many people here getting a little tired of the lack of comprehension of so many who visit this site to ask how hotmail gets hacked and how to use subseven?

It is quite clear that AO recognizes registered users by the fact that I automatically get logged in each time I connect. With that little gem of information I can conclude that it has determined that I have visited before and therefore understand the concept of AO as a whole. Thus, it would not be difficult to have a separate index page for the site that comes up for all non-registered users that states in no uncertain terms that this site is not a haven for those with malicious intent and that persons who make their malicious intent clear are frowned upon.

If a user choses not to register then they will get the same "nag" screen each time until they sign up. If they don't sign up it is their problem. As soon as they sign up they can be redirected to the normal index page. But at that point they will probably understand that questions such as how to hack hotmail are not going to be accepted by the community.

Any thoughts?
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

That's a pretty good suggestion Tiger Shark. Given that we've already got the FAQ, what sort of "newbie QnA" would you put on the non-member page? Perhaps links to the FAQ(s), Newbie forum, etc. along with a general statement about what the site is about and what it's not about?

Intmon:

Yes, I think linking to the FAQ would be a good thing. The point I would like to try to get across which would save us all some time and you some disk space would simply be to make it very clear up front that this is not a site for script kiddies and "I want to crack my girlfriend's MSN password 'cos I think she's cheating on me" wannabe's......

I'll take a stab at the sort of language I would like to see if I may.

Begin scribble
    -------------------------------

Welcome to AntiOnline, (AO).

What AO IS:

AO is a worldwide community of security, network and computer professionals, students and keen amateurs who come here to learn the principles and details of computer/network security.

AO is a place where the community share their knowledge to help the others learn and where people assist each other with identifying and mitigating security issues as they pertain to the many real life situations faced by us all.

What AO is NOT:

AO is not a place where the community's knowledge is used or passed on to others in order to carry out illegal or immoral acts.

AO is not a place where you should be asking how to exploit/damage/attack any system that you do not own nor have the explicit permission of the legal owner.

What can you expect from AO:

You can expect to be treated in the same way you treat the AO community.

If you understand what AO is and is not, you can expect to be helped and to help others learn the art of computer/network security.

If you request information in a way that implies your intent is illegal or immoral you will receive a rapid response from the community that may ban you from continued participation.

Please feel free to look around but before you post a message please read the FAQ carefully. Many subjects have been covered on AO in it's years of operation and most of the discussions are still relevant today so please search before you ask.

Welcome again to AO and we hope your stay here is as fun for you as it is for our numerous members.

---------------------------------
    End Scribble

Put in nice HTML and pretty colors that draw the eye to the salient points something in the vein of the above should reduce the flotsam by 50% or more..... Which would be something of a blessing for all of us......
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Perhaps someone should point Neg here as I believe he was working on an updated FAQ?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

MsM: It's really quite clear that no-one of the ilk we are discussing reads the FAQ.... <sigh> Updating them would really mean that someone would spend time making nice new FAQ's that no-one bothers to read..... Personally I see that as quite innefficient.... That's why I suggested an up front, in your face, (but professionally done and still welcoming to those who come here for the right reasons), this is not a skiddie site - go away index for non-members. Those of us that have been here before would not really see it and therefore it would be of little or no inconvenience but it might leave some of the flotsam, (which seems to be getting worse recently but that might just be my perception), in our wake and allow us to see real posts rather than some of the garbage we are being exposed to......

My 2c...... (that, with inflation, may be of less worth when you read this than when it was written...... )

Originally posted here by Tiger Shark
    MsM: It's really quite clear that no-one of the ilk we are discussing reads the FAQ.... <sigh> Updating them would really mean that someone would spend time making nice new FAQ's that no-one bothers to read..... Personally I see that as quite innefficient.... That's why I suggested an up front, in your face, (but professionally done and still welcoming to those who come here for the right reasons), this is not a skiddie site - go away index for non-members. Those of us that have been here before would not really see it and therefore it would be of little or no inconvenience but it might leave some of the flotsam, (which seems to be getting worse recently but that might just be my perception), in our wake and allow us to see real posts rather than some of the garbage we are being exposed to......

My 2c...... (that, with inflation, may be of less worth when you read this than when it was written...... )
    Tiger, while I agree your suggestion has merit, The crap I have seen the most of lately is the never ending bitching about AP's and old (banned) members coming back just to stir up ****. Your suggestion will do nothing to save us from this aggravation. My point, no matter what effort Jupitermedia puts into keeping the *******'s out, there are *******'s, and they will find another way to piss off the community that comes here to share knowledge, share problems, share suggestions and sometimes share a laugh.

That is my 2 cents (and the Canadian $ went up today, so it's worth even more )

Cheers:
    DjM

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    I'm not saying don't do the nag screen. I'm suggesting adding the information to the FAQ he's working on.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

MsM: Don't get me wrong.......<s> I'm not against updating the FAQ I just don't think that updating the FAQ for the wrong reason, (making it more clear that AO is not a cracker site), is a waste of Neg's time if no-one is going to read it anyway...... (I'm all for efficiency.....<s>)

On a bit of a rethink maybe we could add a button to the nag screen that says "I understand the principles of AO" so that people who never came here before will read instead of just clicking through. That button would be the only way through to the main screen.

DjM: I am in agreement about the AP bitching but you are going to have that anyway when people are involved. Some see it as a measure of their "like-ability" thus a neg for any reason is taken as a personal attack. With time they will, hopefully pass through adolescence....

So,...... Are 2 Canadian cents worth a US one yet?????? (sorry, couldn't resist...... )

Banned
    Originally posted by MsMittens
    Perhaps someone should point Neg here as I believe he was working on an updated FAQ?
    I found this thread myself Thx
    I really like the idea, Tiger Shark, although I still think there is need for a new, updated FAQ... Maybe no one will read it, but it'd be more than just a FAQ: it's supposed to be the ultimate AO reference...
    And it definitely would be easier if we could just redirect all members who ask questions that have been asked over and over again already to a FAQ that covers it all...

Neg: Cool.... I look forward to seeing the "ultimate AO reference".

And it definitely would be easier if we could just redirect all members who ask questions that have been asked over and over again already to a FAQ that covers it all...
    AHAH...... Another suggestion..... The little buttons over the messages..... Add one that can only be used once in a thread that allows those of us who are too lazy or bored of typing "read the #$%^&&^^%$ FAQ" that simply drops a reply with a hyperlink to the FAQ. That way, lazy B's like myself can just click a button to put the link in.......