Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ad-aware vs Spybot S&D

AO French Antique News Whore

Ad-aware vs Spybot S&D

Internet Explorer’s homepage was changed to some weak search engine site; ads are popping up every five seconds; my computer takes three times as long to load, a server is tracking every website I visit, and this was all done intentionally to show which of the two top spyware/adware removal applications is more effective at scanning and detecting malicious objects. I tested both Ad-aware and Spybot S&D (short for Search and Destroy) under Windows 2000 Professional running on a virtual pc courtesy of VMWare Workstation. Twenty eight applications known to contain spyware and adware were installed. The components that were installed are listed below with links to information about their involvement with spyware/adware.
    See the rest here : http://www.flexbeta.net/main/article...ge=1&pagenum=1
    -Simon \"SDK\"

Just read the article, and while it is fine they choose Ad-aware over S&D, why not use both? Since they both can find objects the other one missed, I think the next step would be to simply use both when preforming a scan.

This is hilarious-
    http://www.tehrokh.com/flexbeta/images/toolbars.gif

I dont know if I agree with the test process. I would of set up two different pcs to work on, because it looked like they ran Ad Aware before spybot, then switched. Instead of seeing what they cleaned up after eachother, I would see what they both missed individually. Although I don't know the location of every registry entry, and file, I think it would be more accurate. Im probably wrong though.

That screenshot of his toolbar is great...

http://www.tehrokh.com/flexbeta/images/toolbars.gif

Half his screen is filled with toolbars in IE.

Edit: Soda Popinsky got to it before me...
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

i use boath all the time now. Before it was just adaware, but spybot has alot of other options/tools I find usefull.
    The internet, not just for stalkers and pervs, but for computer geeks too!

Soda:

They did run adaware first and then spybot. However, after that he replaced the Drive Image that took the entire Harddrive back to it's infected state, but to where S&D and Ad-aware were still not installed. This gave him a duplicate enviroment to retest the different order.

1. Infect computer
    2. Create image
    3. Install S&D and Ad-ware
    4. Preform Ad-aware and then S&D test
    5. Restore Image from step 2, to get origonal infected enviroment
    6. PReform S&D and then Ad-aware test
    7. ???
    8. Profit

Originally posted here by pooh sun tzu
    Soda:

They did run adaware first and then spybot. However, after that he replaced the Drive Image that took the entire Harddrive back to it's infected state, but to where S&D and Ad-aware were still not installed. This gave him a duplicate enviroment to retest the different order.

1. Infect computer
    2. Create image
    3. Install S&D and Ad-ware
    4. Preform Ad-aware and then S&D test
    5. Restore Image from step 2, to get origonal infected enviroment
    6. PReform S&D and then Ad-aware test
    7. ???
    8. Profit
    Im guessing that step 7 is from Southpark .

I guess the process is alright... But I would have loved to see a three column chart comparing the results, with a column for malware, ad aware, spybot, and checkmarks for what ad aware and a spybot individually removed. Kinda like one of those charts they have when you compare webhosts or whatever.

Hey Hey,

I have a memory key with both programs on it for the computers I service. I recommend SpyBot if people are only going with one, however others in the office recommend AdAware. When I need to clean up a really dirty computer, I go with both of them. However I prefer Spybot, it has so many additional features. I love the system start-up feature. It's a great easy way to remove start-up apps from peoples computers. The hosts file replacement is also quite nifty, and the immunize option, you know we all love the immunize option. I think comparing them is a waste of time. They are both highly effective pieces of software. It's like comparing brands of shampoo. They both clean your hair, however one may detangle as well, while the other one conditions, or this one may be specially for permed hair.. yada yada yada. You need both to be truly effective, however even if SpyBot finds less items... I still go with it if I'm only using one thing. The added bonsu's make up for the fact that it doesn't find some of the smaller, lesser known stuff.

Peace,
    HT

[Edit]

I just looked at the post again, and my guess is that the author of it, isn't fully up to date on what malware is and what it does yada yada yada. He is, in my opinion, biased towards AdAware. He mentions the fact that the Spybot forums are down and uses this as a point against Spybot, however net-integration (the site hosting their forums), was one of the sites hit in the DDOS attack earlier this month, and was taken offline because of that. If this person was really doing his research into the topic, he should have known that

[/Edit]

Soda

The steps:

???
    Profit!

Are slashdot related jokes

[In the gnome's cave]
    Gnome 1: This is where all our work is done.
    Kyle: So what are you gonna do with all these underpants you steal?
    Gnome 1: Collecting underpants is just phase one. Phase one: collect underpants.
    Kyle: So what's phase two?
    [Silence]
    Gnome 1: Hey, what's phase two?!
    Gnome 2: Phase one: we collect underpants.
    Gnome 1: Ya, ya, ya. But what about phase two?
    [Silence]
    Gnome 2: Well, phase three is profit. Get it?
    Stan: I don't get it.
    Gnome 2: (Goes over to a chart on the wall) You see, Phase one: collect underpants, phase two-
    [Silence]
    Gnome 2: Phase three: profit.
    Cartman: Oh I get it.
    Stan: No you don't.
    Kyle: Do you guys know anything about corporations?
    Gnome 2: You bet we do.
    Gnome 1: Us gnomes are geniuses at corporations.

Possibly derived from southpark or derived from slashdot to southpark.