Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: page rollover effect

page rollover effect

I was just curious to know if anyone knows how to do a page rollover effect. I saw it on a website and that is was real nice but I have no clue how to do it. Any help is appreciated.

Chris

page rollover? do you mean a button rollover?... and what kind? image swap?....status bar text?... this can all be done with Javascript... google it up or try Javascript Source
    -[h3llbringer] is back, again.
    -MSN CLoNE.

I think I know what you're talking about. The Powerpoint-esque page-transition effect things. Nobody likes them and they're generally thought of as being revolting pieces of unneccesary crap... Plus, programs like ``The Proxomitron`` which filter out HTML make it so that we don't have to see them.
    Don't use them!

Ninja Code Monkey
    Depending on the rollover effect you want you can use client side script like javascript or possibly cascading style sheets (or both). Look into dhtml.
    "When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes." - Erasmus
    "There is no programming language, no matter how structured, that will prevent programmers from writing bad programs." - L. Flon
    "Mischief my ass, you are an unethical moron." - chsh
    Blog of X

Javascript can be used to trigger rollovers on buttons (how rollovers are config'ed most of the time) and also on other graphics on other parts of the page. The script is very similar, just different targets. This may have been what you saw. You MAY be able to trigger rollovers on background images, too, although I've never tried.

I think a version of MS FrontPage had some cool screen wipes and effects written (I think) in their MS-specific JScript. Javascript, unfortunately, is very browser-specific, and often you must evaluate the user's browser and write code for each one to ensure that your code will work on all user's machines.

Some good Javascript & web development resources:
    http://www.dynamicdrive.com
    http://www.webmonkey.com
    http://www.endeavorwebdesign.com/devquest/

Originally posted by Sirex: I was just curious to know if anyone knows how to do a page rollover effect. I saw it on a website and that is was real nice but I have no clue how to do it. Any help is appreciated.
    Hello Chris,

Good day to you. Aside from button roll-over effects, some sites use the image roll-over effect wherein an existing image (just the image and not the entire page) changes upon mouse-over. I am not sure if this is what you are talking about or you were just pertaining to the navigation roll over-effects. This is done through some snipet of javascript, though usually designers nowadays use programs like dreamweaver, image ready, flash or fireworks that automatically generates these effects without much of coding at hand on the part of the designer.

A blessed day to all!!!

Alexzel, coding programs may offer SOME effects, but most good web designers could still work their magic with Notepad or SimpleText. They just use the coding programs because they're a little faster, but they still know what they're looking at when they view the source code.

And no, buying Air Jordans won't turn you into MJ! Nor will buying the most expensive drum kit turn you into Dr. Dre.

Sirex, you may need to investigate how Javascript interacts with the document-object model, or DOM, to find the answer to your question.

Hello Moose69,

Good day to you! I do agree that it is essential to learn plain Html, javascript and other web scripting/programming, etc., and be able to understand and code it yourself through plain Notepad. I also point out that knowing these are essential for every designer/developer in editing the site codes.

Originally posted by Moose69: And no, buying Air Jordans won't turn you into MJ! Nor will buying the most expensive drum kit turn you into Dr. Dre.
    Moreover, I would like to clarify a few points. I WAS NOT pointing out that buying Dreamweaver, frontpage and other web designing/dev. programs can turn you overnight into a web designer/developer guru. I was not stating that only people with these programs will be able to come-up with killer websites. It all boils down to both Creativity and Learning. Dreamweaver, Flash, Frontpage, Photoshop etc. can only help as far as building a site but the MAGIC of a site comes from the Spark of one's own creativity.

If a designer wants to code it himself in notepad, there's nothing wrong with that. If he wants to use web designing tools to make his work faster, there's nothing wrong with those either.

Originally posted by ALexzel: This is done through some snipet of javascript, though usually designers nowadays use programs like dreamweaver, image ready, flash or fireworks that automatically generates these effects without much of coding at hand on the part of the designer.
    I was merely pointing out that web designers nowadays use these tools (Dreamweaver, Frontpage, Illustrator, etc. ) to have a fast pace in production time. BUT I NEVER MEANT that Designers do not employ actual coding anymore.

Originally posted by Moose69: but they still know what they're looking at when they view the source code.
    Yes, I am aware that designers do KNOW what their looking on when they view the source code. I NEVER said that they DON't know anything on the Source codes.
    Designers do still employ hand coding but if the bulk of work is pilling-up then these programs come in handy.

I hope this clarifies everything.

********** A blessed day to All

All i can say is page rollovers are stupid and should never be used. Just like frames they slow page loading etc!

I've never used rollovers, and don't like them much either. You might just want to stick with a link, or single image -- anything to replace the rollover, because

a) it's easier on the browser (some older browsers might not support rollovers)
    b) it's less images for the client to download, which means a faster page load for them
    c) it's less load on the server and its network

-Mike
    Either get busy living or get busy dying.

-The Sawshank Redemption