Thread: Palladium Opinion

Palladium Opinion

I know this has been discussed but I wanted to through this out in case you haven't seen it and get folks reaction to this new system from M$. There is starting to be more and more information on Palladium and DRM. If you don't know about it find out...

This is reprinted from Network World

Here’s the link to the document reprinted below for convenience

Wired Windows
    Dave Kearns

“Palladium…will give individuals and groups of users greater data security, personal privacy, and system integrity” --- John Manferdelli, Microsoft general manager

Microsoft recently announced its Palladium initiative, which will provide features in the Windows operation system tied to features of the computer’s chipset to establish identity-based management of the PC. Not surprisingly, this was announced to Newsweek rather than to the technology press, I say not surprisingly because this system is even less user-friendly then the Intel idea to embed identification numbers in CPUs that was shot down three years ago, and the general press is less equipped to ask the tough questions about new technologies.
    Microsoft is touting the new technology as a stepping stone to digital rights management, but it’s more then that. Not only would copyright holders (especially music and video copyright holders) obtain a way to control licensing of material, but the producer and the users of any content would be able to be tracked – it would be relatively easy to find out who wrote which e-mail and who read or viewed each document. Anonymity would definitely be a thing of the past.
    But Manferdelli the general manager for the project, wants you to think that this is a boon to users – increasing their security and privacy. That’s hogwash, or worse.
    Privacy is not enhanced when everything you type at the keyboard can be traced back to you. And as for security; that promise quickly is proving illusory.
    Microsoft’s competitors, quite rightly are wailing that this smacks of yet another monopolistic practice. They say it would be easy to build into this architecture “security” checks that only Microsoft (or Microsoft-licensed) application could pass. To allay these fears, Microsoft is considering publishing the source code to Palladium.
    While publishing the source code might assuage Microsoft’s competitor it would be a boon to the crackers who want to find a way to evade the security system. The locks on your door and the alarm system aren’t much help against a burglar armed with the system’s blueprints
    There needs to be a better security for our computers – but the bulk of the security problems are caused by Microsoft applications, not by the operating systems. Fix the flaws in the apps, Redmond, and then try to develop security conscious apps. Security is important, but not important enough to give up all of my privacy.
    My other Computer is a 4000 node Beowulf Custer

Old Fart

Re: Palladium Opinion

Originally posted here by paldie
    Fix the flaws in the apps, Redmond, and then try to develop security conscious apps. Security is important, but not important enough to give up all of my privacy.

AMEN!!
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

Originally posted here by paldie
    Microsoft is touting the new technology as a stepping stone to digital rights management, but it’s more then that. Not only would copyright holders (especially music and video copyright holders) obtain a way to control licensing of material, but the producer and the users of any content would be able to be tracked – it would be relatively easy to find out who wrote which e-mail and who read or viewed each document. Anonymity would definitely be a thing of the past.
    I think this is the real reason that MS is so keen on Palladium. On the one hand it would allow IT companines & music/video companies like MS/AOL etc. to keep track of who was using their software (with the aim of reducing piracy).
    But on the other hand, this is a gross invasion of personal privacy, easily open to abuse, and I'm very sceptical that it will not be hacked anyway.
    MS is already moving down this road anyway with products like their Media player, which run on existing Windows systems. As was mentioned on this forum, there is a very strange phrase in the EULA for MS Media player, which as I understand it was along the lines of 'MS reserve the right to update the Media player (without notifying you) so that it will only play music that you have the right to do so. This may mean that you will no longer be able to play some files on your PC'.