Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: router is scareing me

router is scareing me

Hi I just got dsl and I have a problem.When using my modem straight into computer + kerio firewall I pass all security tests on various sites with all ports stealthed. Now that ive connected through a router to share internet access I fail miserably on security tests. Most ports are just closed and not steathed. Should I be afraid of this or is it just the router that is insecure and not my PC? Thanks

I wouldn't worry about it really , because when you get a router a few services are opened by default... I was worried at first when i got mine.. But the NAT on the router should keep your machines safe but that doesn't mean security goes out the window... Just keep up to date with the latest patches and security holes and you should be ok...
    "Serenity is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it."

Originally posted here by n01100110
    I wouldn't worry about it really , because when you get a router a few services are opened by default... I was worried at first when i got mine.. But the NAT on the router should keep your machines safe but that doesn't mean security goes out the window... Just keep up to date with the latest patches and security holes and you should be ok...
    I'm running windows98 with all critical updates. The router is a linksys befsr41 v2. I'm concerned because I like to buy things online and obviously dont want my information stolen. Is there anything else I could do to protect myself?

I'm running windows98 with all critical updates. The router is a linksys befsr41 v2. I'm concerned because I like to buy things online and obviously dont want my information stolen. Is there anything else I could do to protect myself?
    Well generally when you purchase something online their side uses SSL(secure socket link)..
    The only way your information can be stolen is if your computer is infected with a trojan (www.simplysup.com) or session hijacking with juggernaut , or a vulnerability on their side which is usually unlikely.. But keep your systems firewalled , monitor the router logs and keep your AV definitions up to date and subscribe to bug traq. You should be ok then
    "Serenity is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it."

Well if you like to buy things online it really isnt your computer that needs the securing...its the connection between you and wherever youre buying from(since i believe you mean you dont want someone to take your personal info when youre sending it to the online store). More or less this security is on the side of the website or store that youre buying from, unless you have a trojan. If you have a trojan someone can take the information you sent by a keylogger or something like that and use it as they want. If this would be the case then you should download antivirus software and keep it up to date with the patches. In the end things will always be vulnerable and have weaknesses but you can try and make it as secure as possible.

Edit: Oops guess i was a little late going through and making sure i covered stuff

well, the ports are closed, but not stealthed....i wouldnt be too freaked out...but, don't rely on me here, just my $.2...

slick
    \"Look, Doc, I spent last Tuesday watching fibers on my carpet. And the whole time I was watching my carpet, I was worrying that I, I might vomit. And the whole time, I was thinking, \"I\'m a grown man. I should know what goes on my head.\" And the more I thought about it... the more I realized that I should just blow my brains out and end it all. But then I thought, well, if I thought more about blowing my brains out... I start worrying about what that was going to do to my goddamn carpet. Okay, so, ah-he, that was a GOOD day, Doc. And, and I just want you to give me some pills and let me get on with my life. \" -Roy Waller

As long as you are seeing the ports closed that is all that matters. Your Nat device should not be allowing any ports through at all in a basic config. So if someone scans the routable ip that is assigned to your NAT device, and all ports are showing up closed, dont worry

If you want to be safe about it, you can port forward all your ports that showed up to the port scans, to a bogus IP on your LAN that never has a computer behind it. This way, even if there was a malicious packet sent on that port, it would be sent to a bogus IP which would be dropped.
    =

A slightly different approach:

I had a bad experience with a credit card fraud a while back. I recommend that you take a "worst posible scenario" viewpoint, and think about what might happen if someone "owned" your machine.

I never have my name and address on the system, and do not store passwords. I write them down. A criminal would have to break into my house and find them, then have to know which was for what..............not a likely scenario?

I have a special credit card that I use for online transactions. It has the minimum credit limit. If I need to spend more (over $750) I just pay money into the credit card account........it drives them mad until I spend it.

I do not keep credit card or bank details on my machine. Even if someone stole the box itself, it would not help them, as the information is simply not there.

Just a few thoughts?

Cheers

There is an option in your befsr41 to "Block WAN Request" check it and you will be stealth except maybe for port 113 (ident) wich is needed sometimes to send/receive email. Don't forward all your ports to a bogus ip because it will mess your router up!!! If you want port 113 stealth your can forward this however to a non existent ip within your network but not all ports!!! To get specific information about your linksys router there is a forum especially for linksys here: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/equip,16