Thread: Linking the Explorer window

Linking the Explorer window

Hello everyone I would like to ask if it's possible to create a link that will run the windows explorer? The Idea is, when I click the link it will run my windows explorer because I'm planning to make the html as my desktop. I would like to ask how it is done. Thanks!

AO French Antique News Whore
    Try this
    <a href="file:///c:\">test</a> will link to your C:

<a href="file:///c:\winnt">test</a> will link to C: Winnt Directory (I'm on NT)
    -Simon \"SDK\"

Elite Hacker
    most of the VNC's have a built in webserver to where when you go to an ip such as http://255.255.255.255:5800/
    you are prompted for a password and if the password is correct, you get a virtual desktop of the machine running VNC. You can obtain this from www.realVNC.com
    If you just want to get the folder of the desktop you can do what SDK said. It would be really hard to do what you are doing without an already written program. I don't think it can be done with just html. The VNC program is written in java. Good luck.

it can be done - i remember reading a question very similar to this before in a magasine article - if i can find it will post the reply....but one thing to bear in mind - this will only work for a) windows users b) people with the default win dir
    if you are only going to be using it yourelf thats fine as you will know your own directory structure
    also it can be done through flash using the fscommand

v_Ln

valhallen, the winnt and c: are only demo. You can link any drives, folder or files that you know the path!
    -Simon \"SDK\"

i dunno about running .exe's though wont the browser simply try to download the file?

v_Ln

</qoute><I>Originally from valhallen</I>
    i dunno about running .exe's though wont the browser simply try to download the file?

v_Ln
    </qoute>

Yeah I tried linking the explorer.exe but it needs to be downloaded first inorder to run. Anyway, I'll try SDK's suggestion maybe it'll work. Thanks again guys!

If you run a exe, I'll ask you to open it or download. Just open it

good Luck!
    -Simon \"SDK\"

Yeah I think your right SDK. Besides opening/downloading .exe files window is beyond htmls control. right?

Yeap! Besides opening/downloading .exe files window is beyond htmls control. right? You may have a security windows if you open file but that it!
    -Simon \"SDK\"