Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gates and Bono praised by Time

Gates and Bono praised by Time

bbc source

Gates and Bono praised by Time

Time said the winners had been "shrewd about doing good"
    The world's richest man Bill Gates, his wife, Melinda, and rock star Bono have been named "Persons of the Year" by America's Time magazine.
    Time said the US couple and the Irish singer had been chosen for their charitable work and efforts to reduce global poverty and improve health.

Time has been awarding its somewhat controversial awards since 1927.

It aims to pick "the person or persons who most affected the news and our lives, for good or for ill".

In 2004, the "Person of the Year" went to President George W Bush, while in 2003 the magazine honoured "The American Soldier". Nazi leader Adolf Hitler won in 1938, and in 1979 the award was given to Iran's supreme leader, Ayatollah Khomeini.

Time named former US Presidents George Bush Sr and Bill Clinton "Partners of the Year" in 2005 for their humanitarian work.

'Impressive impact'

"For being shrewd about doing good, for rewiring politics and re-engineering justice, for making mercy smarter and hope strategic and then daring the rest of us to follow, Bill and Melinda Gates and Bono are Time's Persons of the Year," Time said in its latest special issue, which will hit newsstands on Monday.

It praised the US couple for building the world's largest charity - the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation - and for "giving more money away faster than anyone ever has" in 2005.

The foundation has saved some 700,000 lives in developing countries around the world by supporting vaccination programmes, has donated computers to tens of thousands of libraries and sponsored a big scholarship fund, the magazine said.

Mr Gates - the founder of computer giant Microsoft Corp. - has personal fortune of $46.5bn and this year again topped Forbes magazine's list of the world's richest person in 2005.

Time said Bono's efforts in fighting global poverty has had an equally impressive impact.

"Bono charmed and bullied and morally blackmailed the leaders of the world's richest countries into forgiving $40bn in debt owed by the poorest," the magazine said.

Former Presidents Bush and Clinton were named "Partners of the Years" for their humanitarian efforts after the deadly Asian tsunami in December and Hurricane Katrina which devastated several US states.

\"America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.\"
    \"The reason we are so pleased to find other people\'s secrets is that it distracts public attention from our own.\"
    Oscar Wilde(1854-1900)

Banned
    OMG... I clicked cause I thought it said "Gate's Boner."

Having read this. I am very dissapointed.

/me returns to IRC

My GF bought that at the local Safeway so she could stare at Bono. Have to admit the dude is pretty damn sexy. Hey Muracu (from another thread), didn't know they had chicken wings in France. I thought everything was Coq au Vin. In the states bro.... wingstop
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

Disgruntled Postal Worker fourdc's Avatar
    The magazine was also praising Melinda Gates. Prior to his marriage to Melinda and his friendship with Warren Buffet, Bill Gates had no compassion for anyone and was a selfish p--k.

I found it ironic that when Queen Elizabeth knighted him she stated that she had never used a computer. If she had she might not have been as careful with that sword!

Your mileage my vary.
    ddddc

"Somehow saying I told you so just doesn't cover it" Will Smith in I, Robot

Originally posted here by fourdc
    I found it ironic that when Queen Elizabeth knighted him she stated that she had never used a computer. If she had she might not have been as careful with that sword!
    Oh, what an influence a good wife can be!

In the BBC story on Bill's knighthood, it stated that the queen didn't find using a computer as easy as did younger people. Not that she did not use one. I would be completely surprised if Elizabeth didn't use a computer. She has always seemed progressive, to me.

But, the article did state that Bill couldn't use the "Sir" title, as a US Citizen. Correct. It stated he could use the KBE, as a US Citizen. Incorrect. Unless, of course, he wants to renounce his US citizenship. KBE implies that he owes allegiance to a foreign prince or potentate. Can't do that.

Prior to his marriage to Melinda and his friendship with Warren Buffet, Bill Gates had no compassion for anyone and was a selfish p--k.
    Interesting comment ... Quick questions ... Ever been selfish ? or uncompassionate to another human being in your entire life ???
    Operation Cyberslam
    \"I\'ve noticed that everybody that is for abortion has already been born.\" Author Unknown
    Microsoft Shared Computer Toolkit
    Proyecto Ututo EarthCam

Ever been selfish ? or uncompassionate to another human being in your entire life ???
    My GF is STILL staring at Bono. I think in her mind she's the meat in a Bono, Edge sandwich.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.

Disgruntled Postal Worker fourdc's Avatar
    Yes, I've been selfish. But I wasn't the richest guy in the world before I gave it up.

I believe I've been more selfless than selfish. Never one to give away a lot of cash but I've always been generous with my time and efforts.

4dc
    ddddc

"Somehow saying I told you so just doesn't cover it" Will Smith in I, Robot

Road,
    I tend to have the same porblems when my girlfriend sees Pierce Brosnon.
    \"America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.\"
    \"The reason we are so pleased to find other people\'s secrets is that it distracts public attention from our own.\"
    Oscar Wilde(1854-1900)

I left out Larry Mullin. So make that a threesome in her mind. I just can't compete with those guys. Larry is the really really really ridiculously handsome one.
    West of House