Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: help finding a *job* because I have a felony conviction.

AO's MMA Fanatic! Computernerd22's Avatar

Lightbulb help finding a *job* because I have a felony conviction.

modified
    Last edited by Computernerd22; November 4th, 2014 at 12:06 PM.

You could try finding work with a small company...Maybe some one man IT shop where the guy needs help... You could build up trust etc and prove yourself...

Steve R Jones
    You could try finding work with a small company...Maybe some one man IT shop where the guy needs help... You could build up trust etc and prove yourself...
    Thanks for the reply Steve. I've been looking at smaller companies like mom and pops shops for computer repair/techs etc.(i don't think they do background checks like big companies do ).. My girlfriend keeps telling me I should go in business for myself (opening my own computer repair shop) but it seems so far fetched and I don't know the first thing about starting a business. Is anyone else in a situation like this? If so, what do you to get by? At this point I almost feel like giving up at times meaning, throwing in the towel, if I go back to being locked up then so be it.

I have returned from the abyss just to answer this question. Computernerd22, here are some pointers:

- DO NOT lie on your resume. Do not lie on online applications. Sure, it may land you the job, but it may also give your future employer a big fat case of suing your ass off if you do something wrong (PCI DSS, HIPAA stuff,...)

- DO follow Steve R Jones' advice: in most states, all it takes to start your own business is registering with the appropriate state agency (it'll probably cost you $50 or so). Set up a website to promote your services, start promoting it online, and you might be surprised how many reactions you get.

Negatif.

Thank you for the great information Negatif. I already have a site made for my business but i'm not sure how to promote it online. besides posting it on Facebook and various forums. Any suggestions?

I agree with Negatif. Do NOT lie on your application. If I were in charge of hiring, I might be a bit wary of hiring a felon... but I can tell you that if the person claimed no felonies on their application, and then the background check came back with one, there is no way I would give them a job. At that point, they are not only a [former] criminal, but also a liar. Be honest on your application, and then explain yourself during the interview, or in an enclosed letter. I have a friend that has an assault charge, but usually when he tells the prospective employer that he caught his girlfriend in bed with another guy, and didn't do much more than punch the guy and throw him out of the house, they usually understand.
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

The best form of advertising is word of mouth. Make business cards and flyers and pass them out. Use those to advertise your website as well. But I agree as well, those small mom and pop shops are your best bet, side from starting your own company. To be honest, I would first try landing a job there first. Get some clientele, make a name for yourself....Makes starting a business that much easier. Craigslist is probably going to be your friend in this scenario.

Keeping The Balance CybertecOne's Avatar
    If you take care of the customer, the business will take care of itself. I have operated as a sole trader for a while and never had to advertise beyond my existing clients - the work comes in.

As for starting to find new customers; business cards work well and even stick some on the community notice boards or do some flyers. Ask some popular places if you can leave a stack of business cards on their counter (competing companies wont let you do this of course, but different industries, like a pet shop or local coffee shop).
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein

If you take care of the customer, the business will take care of itself. I have operated as a sole trader for a while and never had to advertise beyond my existing clients - the work comes in.
    Thank you for the advice. I always go above and beyond while doing my job.

Make business cards and flyers and pass them out.
    Is there a website you guys use or recommend to make business cards and flyers with? And what software should I use to make the flyers? I greatly appreciate all the help from everyone.

Keeping The Balance CybertecOne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronMaxwell View Post
    America was built to be the world's penal colony.
    I'm pretty sure Australia has that claim well in hand - that is exactly what our country started out as. And your post was a great deal more than unhelpful and lacking any compassion.

Quote Originally Posted by Computernerd22 View Post
    Is there a website you guys use or recommend to make business cards and flyers with? And what software should I use to make the flyers? I greatly appreciate all the help from everyone.
    I've used Vista Print (Here) in the past, but im sure a quick google search will help you find business card services closer to you. The tools used to create the business material on Vista Print are quite useful in their own right.
    Last edited by CybertecOne; December 17th, 2012 at 10:46 AM. Reason: typo
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein