Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Backing up to DVDs

Backing up to DVDs

Hey everyone, I've come to the realization that I probably need to start backing up my hard drive before it dies. I don't need a back up hard drive, as the data I am backing up does not change. So i'm backing up up to dvds. The question is, what measures can I take to keep the disks in working order, physical (ex: dry environment) or software-wise (ex: backup software) for an extended period of time (until I need to restore data)? I'm not stuck on dvds, they're just the cheapest way to back things up, and I figured if I didn't use them after I burned them untill I had to restore the data they would last a long time if I go through the correct process of backing up the files.

All backup media decays over time, you backup to be able to restore so just make a restore schedule to restore a few test files from your media and stick with it.

Light, humidity and moisture are the bane of DVD's so look for storage solutions that elminate those problems.
    sudo

Keeping The Balance CybertecOne's Avatar
    One of the biggest factors i have come across regarding lenght of life for CD/DVD's is the manufacturer.

You can buy cheap discs, and they die in 6 months time or dont even work on the first burn.

There are SOME brands that offer a lifetime guarantee on their media. It may cost you extra, but it is worth considering.

Please note that there will ALWAYS be inperfections and circumstances which will cause even the most secure data to be destroyed, least of all on removable media - But making sure you go with a good brand will put you above the rest.

CTO
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein

Just Another Geek
    Beware of cd/dvd rot..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD_rot
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Keeping The Balance CybertecOne's Avatar
    Your best bet would be a Maxtor Drive Solution. (OneTouch Drives)

http://www.maxtor.com/en/external-dr...al-hard-drive/

CTO
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein

how about a nice hardware or software raid 1?

raid=expensive

dvd=cheap

"...to give correctly is to give them what they need from us, for it would not be skillful to bring gifts to anyone that are in no way needed."
    --Socrates

*Einstein Would Be Proud*

Hi metguru,

I had this issue during the great Millennium Bug scam

Back then, we were using CDs rather than DVDs. I selected Kodak media because there was a requirement for extended archiving properties.

I have just found this:

http://www.aprmedia.co.uk/product.ph...3&r=googlebase

The latest Kodak DVD archival material which is supposed to have a life of 100 years. It is expensive though.............. I would be inclined to check other manufacturers for their archival material. Also, price getting another drive.

The reason I suggest another drive is at least it will allow you to reliably update your backup, and I am wary of rewritable media.

Quote Originally Posted by C:\Saw View Post
    raid=expensive

dvd=cheap

Wrong.... HDD's are very cheap compared to many years of DVD throwaways. A DVD is like an ancient slow floppy drive to the drives. A raid will check behind the scenes to correct errors. Next time, you burn a CD.....turn the computer off. Do the same with a software raid.

How come students always think they can belittle the teacher?

Good Lord (or shall I say holy evolution)

Egotistical?

If you were a teacher, you would be a poor one in dire need of schooling.

If you want a cheap and easy way of storing some static data you plan to keep for a long time (i'm not talking about incremental backups)

DVD-RW or DVD would be a great choice for almost no $

Linen0ise go fck yourself, I'm not in the mood for your bullshit right now

Go "teach" yourself

He said he is backing up data that does not change

Get it?
    "...to give correctly is to give them what they need from us, for it would not be skillful to bring gifts to anyone that are in no way needed."
    --Socrates

*Einstein Would Be Proud*