Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recovering Overwritten Data - SD Card

OVERWRITTEN data cannot be recovered, as it has been physically (electronically) replaced with something else.

Dr. Peter Gutmann (University of Aukland, New Zealand) wrote a paper on this around 1996, when HDD technology was very different. His paper only referred to electro-mechanical hard drives, rather than solid state drives that use transistors as opposed to magnetic media.

You can frequently recover "deleted", or "lost" data because it is still physically present; however, once it has been overwritten (replaced) with something else, it is GONE FOREVER.

None of the snake oil products suggested by spammers can do a thing about that!

Friend of Site Staff
    Recurva work fine, as long as it has not been overwritten.

http://www.piriform.com/recuva

Memory sticks and SSD because of their size get overwritten fast.

I agree with Shay, and put Piriform's "Recuva" on all my customers' machines. It does what it says on the box

EDIT:

@Shay,

I believe you to have far greater technical knowledge than myself, so this is a discussion point rather than an argument.

I have recovered stuff from solid state media that I would not have expected to from their electro-mechanical counterparts?

I put this down to the fact that the SSD stuff has software embedded in it to make all the transistors get used, rather than the next available?

What is your opinion?
    Last edited by nihil; September 6th, 2013 at 08:52 PM.

Friend of Site Staff
    I figure between the two of us, we make a great team knowledge wise. We have both pulled stuff out of the wood work that surprised the other.

The SSD programing [ lack of a better word] Seems to delay over writing of items marked for deletion. So yes, you would be able to normally recover more. Remember we do NOT defragment SSD which can be a huge bacon saver.

Remember IDE/SATA writes to the first open/marked to overwrite areas first.

Hope that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Haiweisully View Post
    There are various reasons behind deletion of memory card files. One of the major reason is accidental deletion. While previewing some important files on the card you may hit the delete all button by mistake and thus in that way it is possible to recover lost data or files from sd card for android or camera

Once you realize you've deleted a file, DON'T TOUCH ANY other file on that drive. That's because, when you delete a file, it's not really erased from the drive, instead, what the operating system does is to erase the "index" entry for that file (the location on the "drive map" where the actual file is located),
    The deleted data was overwritten by new data.

Quote Originally Posted by SerenaWilliams View Post

The deleted data was overwritten by new data.
    If so, then as stated above, as soon as the old data is overwritten with new data, the old data is then gone forever and cannot be recovered.
    Rad