Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Installing FreeBSD 8.2-RELEASE

I've changed my Tutorial a little bit to make it easier to read. Just a heads up

Linux Emulation in FreeBSD -

To get Linux emulation to work, do this:

Make sure you are Root!

As root, type this into your shell:

kldload linux

This loads it for you, but, you can also make it so that it be loaded at boot so you don't have to type it all the time:

You can start by typing this:

vi /etc/rc.conf

Use the Arrow key to move down to the bottom, and then, when you get to the VERY last line of this text file, and you're at the very beginning of it, press the "End" Key, on your keyboard, so you're at the end of that line.

Now Press "a" on the keyboard to start to Enter in Text AFTER that line. You can press Enter to after you pressed "a" if you aren't on a new line.

Now, type this:

linux_enable="YES"

After you type that, press the Escape key to go to command mode in Vi, and then press the ":" and then "w" and then "q" and then press Enter. This saves the text in Vi and leaves Vi.

Or you can open that file as root with a text editor you know how to use too, of course, and then just save it once you've typed that line in.

Now, once you've done this, you can do this:

pkg_add -r aim

That will install AIM, which requires the Linux Base. (By the way, if you're wondering why I'm not just saying to grab the Compatibility Layer Packages, it's because it's a lot more typing =) ) and anyway, once it starts to grab AIM, it will NOW grab the Linux packages, and actually work now !

Just Another Geek
    Quote Originally Posted by shahjashua0 View Post
    linux_enable="YES"
    You're also required to install emulators/linux_base-f10.

Now, once you've done this, you can do this:

pkg_add -r aim
    That port has been deprecated in May 2011.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

I was using those mostly as examples, and when you use pkg_add -r aim, it actually will grab the Linux base for you, as a dependency, so that's why I did that.

I'm REALLY not sure why he replied to this though with something I said. It's literally word for word what I said.... Which is just weird.

Just Another Geek
    Quote Originally Posted by gore View Post
    I'm REALLY not sure why he replied to this though with something I said. It's literally word for word what I said.... Which is just weird.
    I didn't even notice that. It might be a spammer. I've seen it happen on TAZ too. Some bot regurgitates half of someone else's post. Some other bot comes along a few days later to post the "answer". Or the original posting bot returns and edits it's posts to add spammy links.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Hmm, I'll keep watch, and see if he responds to any more posts like that, and if so, I'll just track his IP and see if any other accounts are using it, and if so, what THOSE accounts have posted, and go from there.

Good catch though; I'd have just thought that someone was replying to the thread and didn't know how to quote, and messed up a reply or something. If it's a spam bot though, I'll just ban them and the other accounts linked to that IP and report the IP, Account name, and reason, to the mods section so the rest of them can kind of keep an eye out on it.