Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IE share drops in EU

IE share drops in EU

Internet Explorer's share of the EU browser market has dropped significantly since Microsoft were forced to offer a choice to users.

Article and graphs here:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/03..._share_europe/

I wonder just how much of this is "novelty value" and the users will return to IE in a few weeks or months?

HYBR|D
    I'll place money that ie will still hold majority marketshare at the end of the year. As with all new things the "fad" will wear out.

I see it as a case of oh that browser looks interesting download install play with it for a little, revert back to familiar Ie and forget about that other browser.

Banned
    Even in IE I end up getting rid of alot of things to revert back to the way things looked in version 6 or netscape back in 1996.

Ahhhh Netscape. I miss that Browser. I generally use Opera now (which by the way, yesterday, or the day before, it told me that a new update was available, and so I downloaded and installed that, which looks good I might add and now doesn't by default have the usual user bars with the usual options, it has an Opera button that has all of it built in but you can also use the old style) anyway, Netscape was great.

I still have my SuSE 8.1 Professional installations that have Netscape 4.7 or something on them. I don't like Firefox, and Seamonkey is the only thing that's remotely like Netscape so I have that too, and I still have Konq, Dillo, and a bunch of others I test things with.

WTF happened to Netscape anyway? I remember a while back 7 came out, and then 8 and 9, and then, nothing. The download I kept for Linux of course won't work now because it's old as piss, and it doesn't seem to be around anymore.

Boy did I hate Netscape. What a lousy clunky browser.

HYBR|D
    Quote Originally Posted by JPnyc View Post
    Boy did I hate Netscape. What a lousy clunky browser.
    A bit like Opera

How much resource power does Firefox and Thunderbird need now? A gig of RAM? Compared to Opera which I still run on a 192 MBs RAM 433 MHz Celeron box

HYBR|D
    Quote Originally Posted by gore View Post
    How much resource power does Firefox and Thunderbird need now? A gig of RAM? Compared to Opera which I still run on a 192 MBs RAM 433 MHz Celeron box
    How many people these days are still running ancient 433mhz machines?

PC/netbooks etc have decent spec's this day and age and thus the resources used by browsers/games/apps etc won't really bottleneck down a system.

Fine if the above were using today's amount back in the day then yes one would complain and be able to use the whole bottleneck reason.

I'm not supporting mozilla just laying down facts.

I'll give you half points on resources just as I did Windows XP when it came out because DooM did the same thing back in the day where it had resource needs that some machines really couldn't handle, and DooM3, came out, and no machines could handle the top level they had built in for graphics abilities yet, and I even saw the people on X-Play saying how in their testing of DooM3, even their top of the line machines couldn't handle putting the Graphics at full levels because it was built in a manner that was meant for the future.

So, I'll give half for that because even though I personally, had my fastest machine, as my laptop (Pentium 4 M @ 3.06 GHz, 512 RAM, no dual core or anything, just regular Pentium 4) until Christmas Morning when I opened up a present that had a better machine.

My Mom bought me a new computer for Christmas, and given I'm not working right now, it's not like I could afford to upgrade or buy a new machine, so I had to use what I DO have for the last couple years. I think it was 2003 or 3004 when I bought that laptop, and it was the fastest machine I had until Christmas Day.

I now have a machine that can handle Vista and Windows 7, and Thunderbird 3... I didn't before.

I do find it funny that DooM3 has lower minimum requirements than Thunderbird 3 though.

Anyway, I've tested a lot of stuff on that laptop, and the last time I did, which was December, Opera was installed with newest version and so was Seamonkey. Firefox was too but Thunderbird, I didn't have enough RAM to test it. Firefox took so long to load that I uninstalled it, IE was... Well, not as bad as Firefox, but bad, and Opera and Seamonkey, if I clicked on BOTH Opera and Seamonkey, at the same time, they both loaded faster than one instance of Firefox. By like 3 times the speed.

That's kind of sad. And of course Firefox saying how secure they are.. Which is like funny now. They're becoming the Windows ME of the browser World.

Clunky my ass. My Wii uses Opera and so do my PCs. Imagine if Wii used Firefox. How long would Mario wait before eating some Mushrooms and jumping on it. (And would a Seamonkey be the result? When Mario jumps on those huge Mushrooms, smaller faster ones pop out!).

If you want to talk about clunky, like, Buick style clunky, I can think of no better contestant than Firefox.

gore

WTF happened to Netscape anyway? I remember a while back 7 came out, and then 8 and 9, and then, nothing. The download I kept for Linux of course won't work now because it's old as piss, and it doesn't seem to be around anymore.

http://browser.netscape.com/releases

Windows, MAC and Linux versions

How many people these days are still running ancient 433mhz machines?
    Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr: Me?

PI/133/ 192Mb
    PII/266, 333, 450/ 128, 384, 384Mb
    PIII/ 500, 533/ 512Mb

Quite a few people I know use old (usually ex-corporate) kit. That was always pretty minimal because the stuff you run in most businesses does not require much resource.

All they do is e-mail, correspondence and some basic surfing.

FireFox will run on the PII/266/128Mb . I had problems with the early versions of 3.5, but those seem to have been resolved.