Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FOXIT Problem

Thumbs down FOXIT Problem

Hi,

As many of you already know FOXIT is a .pdf file reader.

I got a heads up today to update it, which I did..............using my normal method of downloading the file then launching it.

It wanted to know if it could change my search browser to ask.com and add some toolbar and some other crap.

Now, the defaults appeared to be yes, given that the defaults were green ticks.......so I unchecked them.

Then, about a half-hour later one of my "system policemen" pops up and says "this ask.com thing wants to update itself"

What is it about "NO" that FOXIT does not understand.........???????????????

I now regard it as crapware, scumware and top of my DOS (delete on sight) list.

If you have stock:

Opinion: Strong sell (whilst some mug will buy it?)

Oh snap! I reinstalled Foxit the other day on my machine, and I had some Ask.com crap installed too - I thought I just must have not unchecked the boxes - which is not like me at all, but I really didn't think that it had installed it despite the fact that I unchecked it and did not want it. That's BS. A shame though - good software. Got a favorite alternative nihil? Because Adobe Reader is too bloated for my taste.

Who the hell do those Foxit clowns think they are anyway!? I'm going to post about this on Computer Forum and on Bleeping Computer. We'll see if they're not flying straight by the end of the month.
    My Corner of the Intarwebz: Jeremy Dean Online

That's really horrible news. It's the only PDF reader I've used for years

HYBR|D
    Just block the crap (This ask.com stuff and what ever else ) via your Firewall. That way it carn't send nor recieve data.

i've used this Foxit once before in the past didn't like it much and i'm happy to use adobe to handle my .pdf needs.

Yeah, my firewall was blocking it already.

To get rid of it: (XP SP3)

1. Go to C:\program files and delete the "Ask" folder.
    2. Run CCleaner's registry fix tool.
    3. In FireFox go to the add-ons part of "Tools" and uninstall the toolbar.

Or use whatever method your browser uses for plug-in/add on management.

4. Reboot

And it should all be gone and you can still use Foxit.

Well, I was going to say that it's the principle of the matter - that we shouldn't support them by using their software if their gonna get all sneaky about installing extra crap... but then, it is free software... so I guess we won't really "show them" one way or the other...

I actually never uninstalled mine, as I had gotten rid of the extras as soon as I had noticed them... but I was "going to"

Also, ask.com supposedly doesn't condone any stealth installation of its toolbar or other software - or so says the wikipedia page I read... I wonder why FOXIT would get all sneaky about installing it? I suppose Ask.com gives FOXIT more money if more traffic is directed to their site via the Foxit toolie???

Whatever. Maybe if I'm a developer someday I'll understand.
    My Corner of the Intarwebz: Jeremy Dean Online

I don't seem to have that folder, but yet the ask toolbar option appears in IE.

Then I guess it is just installed as a plug-in to the browser?............I just looked at my IE8 and there is no toolbar there...........but FF is my default browser?

e l
    Quote Originally Posted by nihil View Post
    Hi,

As many of you already know FOXIT is a .pdf file reader.

I got a heads up today to update it, which I did..............using my normal method of downloading the file then launching it.

It wanted to know if it could change my search browser to ask.com and add some toolbar and some other crap.

Now, the defaults appeared to be yes, given that the defaults were green ticks.......so I unchecked them.

Then, about a half-hour later one of my "system policemen" pops up and says "this ask.com thing wants to update itself"

What is it about "NO" that FOXIT does not understand.........???????????????

I now regard it as crapware, scumware and top of my DOS (delete on sight) list.

If you have stock:

Opinion: Strong sell (whilst some mug will buy it?)
    http://www.whoismadhur.com/2009/04/0...ader/#comments the above link is 5 free alteratives to adobe ive used pdf xchange and perfect pdf are perticularly good it basically boils down to what your needs are i stopped using fox it and adobe months ago , there is also one someone suggests in the user comments at the bottom that i love called STDU veiwer i think it even has tabbed browsing interface so you can open more than one document at once i haven't played with it much latly but will when i get a new computer

Quote Originally Posted by nihil View Post
    Then I guess it is just installed as a plug-in to the browser?............I just looked at my IE8 and there is no toolbar there...........but FF is my default browser?
    Yeah, that's what I just assumed. It's an ActiveX most likely. I checked in downloaded programs, where previous versions of windows used to store such things. Also checked the C drive as suggested, no sign of it.