Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wifi Cracking.

Wifi Cracking.

Alright I know this is a *very* lame question.. But with exams out of the way and CISM around 4 months away I have some time on my hand to play around.. I always wanted to do wifi cracking (for good reason's or rather for reason's of learning) anyway.. I got a syngress book (its been on the shelf for 2 years now) .. It's pretty old though.. You get books in India around an year after being released in the US.

Anyway moving on.. I want a start off tip(s).. Mainly any book that you might suggest will help me on my journey for next month or so..

Also I read few pages and saw the fact that there is a need to purchase an pcmcia or pcmcia express wifi card with hermes chipset (don't call it ignorance, i read few pages on my way back and wanted to get some opinions on the way too).. Is this true ? I mean I cannot carry on pentest or my learning activities with a inbuilt wifi card ?

That question above proves my knowledge about penetrating a wifi network

I'm planning to use VMware and backtrack to do my work.. So any start off help will be appreciated ..

Book i've got is :

WarDriving: Drive, Detect, Defend, A Guide to Wireless Security .. It's really old 5 years now..
    Last edited by ByTeWrangler; August 13th, 2009 at 03:58 PM.
    Parth Maniar,
    CISSP, CISM, CISA, SSCP

*Thank you GOD*

Greater the Difficulty, SWEETER the Victory.

Believe in yourself.

I wouldn't use vmware, as it won't allow backtrack in the vm to detect a wireless card, unless it is USB if I remember correctly (which I still think has proven to be hit or miss). At least that was with Backtrack 3. I don't know much about the updates with BT4 and whether that improved, but I don't see it as very possible, being that Vmware makes the guest OS think its a generic ethernet. Anyway, you can just burn the CD and boot off of it so you're not in a virtual machine. This won't affect the current state of your computer. If you need any walkthroughs for anything, just save them to a flash drive, then use that while in Backtrack (if you aren't connected to the net because you're using aircrack-ng or another wifi tool). All you need is a card that works with aircrack-ng (which comes with backtrack). Most cards are supported these days by Backtrack, at least in my experience anyway. This page is pretty much all you need to do the attack: http://www.aircrack-ng.org/doku.php?id=simple_wep_crack

I am not sure what works with backtrack3 you would have to check their site but you can get a solid card for pretty cheep these days. My current notebook has an intel chipset and it works fine.

Basically there is an extra "mode" that has to be able to be utilized - monitor mode. A lot of people think it is promiscuous mode but it is not. Monitor mode unlike promiscuous mode does not need to connect to an AP to sniff packets.

- You probably want to try WEP first, it is a lot easier
    - I think VMWare only allows you to assign direct access to some USB devices which may be limiting
    - The more traffic on a network = more IV packets so a clientless (passive) attack may be difficult, in this case you can help push it along actively by using a deauth attack
    - I think it is something like you need at least 50k IV's for 64bit WEP and 250k for 128bit, you may want to look that one up

I think that's about it - good luck - have fun

Thanks to both you of you.. I'll pass along my experience as and when i do something exciting..
    Parth Maniar,
    CISSP, CISM, CISA, SSCP

*Thank you GOD*

Greater the Difficulty, SWEETER the Victory.

Believe in yourself.

AOs Resident Troll
    This forum has some good wireless tips....

you may even recognize some of the charactors that hang out there

http://tazforum.**********.com/viewforum.php?f=54

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Quote Originally Posted by morganlefay View Post
    This forum has some good wireless tips....

you may even recognize some of the charactors that hang out there

http://tazforum.**********.com/viewforum.php?f=54

MLF
    here we go again....

AOs Resident Troll
    here we go again....
    WTF is up with that

That link has got some good wifi info..

You guyz have a problem with me linking to external info....

Get over yourselves FFS!!!

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

WTF is up with that

MLF
    WTF is up with "you guyz" and "yourselves" ? Unless I missed the day Coffee Cup said he has Multiple Personality Disorder, plural is not correct. Sounded to me like someone thought we all agreed to send someone in and go after anyone linking to anything.

WTF is up with that

MLF
    YAAAWWWWWNNNN

Here's the site's "AUP" you might want to re-read it especially these parts of it>

You will not behave in an abusive and/or hateful manner, and will not harass, threaten, nor attack anyone.

You will not use profanity in our forums, and will neither post with language or content that is obscene, sexually oriented, or sexually suggestive nor link to sites that contain such content.

(I can spot 5+ threads at that place that have all the above viewable by guests).

You will not post advertisements, chain letters, pyramid schemes, or solicitations, all of which are inappropriate and prohibited in the Forums. You will not, furthermore, collect personal information about forum members for the purpose of sending them any such advertisements, chain letters, pyramid schemes, or solicitations through other means (email, messaging programs, etc.).

You will, if asked by a representative of the Forums, cease posting any content, and/or links to content, deemed offensive, objectionable, or in poor taste by the staff of the Forums.
    And yeah i AM asking for you to chill down.
    Last edited by t34b4g5; August 22nd, 2009 at 01:32 PM.

AOs Resident Troll
    and this all from a mod that calls himself Teabag....hahahahahaha

cya