Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adobe and PDF secuirty for Windows Networks

Question Adobe and PDF secuirty for Windows Networks

I manage a Windows Domain which has roughly 150 workstations with Adobe Reader installed. With all the recent Adobe security issues I am beginning to become paranoid and I was wondering if there exists a tool to manage Adobe updates across a network? Sort of like what WSUS is to the Windows OS and software???

I am not aware of one... When that update came out, it maxed out our bandwidth here for several hours. I ended up blocking adobe.com until after everyone had left for the day, so it didn't slow us down too much.
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

AO's Filibustier Cheap Scotch Ron's Avatar

Uninstall all adobe reader.
    Install foxit.
    In God We Trust....Everything else we backup.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Cheap Scotch Ron View Post

Install foxit.
    Care to elaborate on why the OP should un-install product "A" and install product "B"?

It get's kind of annoying when people just reply to messages in this fashion, kind of like when someone needs help with ie for instance and people don't bother trying to help solve the problem, instead there solution is to just download FF instead..

Helpful no.... Annoying yes....

Quote Originally Posted by Cheap Scotch Ron View Post

Install foxit.
    QFT. Its 612 times better.

It's not annoying, its stating what should have been installed in the first place :-)

But yeah I hear you...

It get's kind of annoying when people just reply to messages in this fashion, kind of like when someone needs help with ie for instance and people don't bother trying to help solve the problem, instead there solution is to just download FF instead..
    I know what you mean, but in this case, the best solution is to ditch adobe.

I've used most of their product suite as both an end user as well as a developer. My opinion (and the consensus amongst my network of professionals) is that the quality of the code is less than acceptable across the board. It is simply easier to abandon their toolset and seek other, higher quality solutions.

I look forward to seeing your solution to the problem.

csr

p.s.
    Last edited by Cheap Scotch Ron; April 9th, 2009 at 04:40 AM. Reason: kma

I checked out the foxit website... looks interesting enough to give it a try. Although, we have quite a few Macs on our network, and I was curious as to whether there was a good alternative for those systems.

From what I could see it was only for MS and Linux operating systems.

Any suggestions? I have never been a big fan of Adobe products... Whole lot of bloat.
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

My mac (leopard) can display pdfs without additional software. Can also print to a pdf without additional software. Suggest you use the apparent built-in feature/function.

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    We are an Adobe Reseller and I can confirm that Adobe has no such product or peer-to-peer effort where one adobe product can update from a workstation on the same network to downsize bandwidth from the internet.

Really sucks I know.

Something like Secunia network version might be able to do so, not too sure, onmly played with the personal version.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

This costs dough, but it will allow you to push software out to desktops.

http://www.microsoft.com/systemcente...s/default.aspx